iPhone 4 in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sucramdi, Jun 23, 2012.

1. sucramdi macrumors member

I'm going to be in Europe for the month of July and I want to bring my iPhone with me to use WiFi at the hotel, take a couple quick pictures and that sort of thing.

I have no international plan so what can I do to be 100% certain that no calls or texts will get to my phone so I don't come back home to a massive cell phone bill? I'm guessing I should just take out my sim card, is that right?

Thanks for any help.

2. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

My girlfriend's chaperoning a school trip to Italy and she's just taking out her sim card and using an Italian MiFi. I'd recommend taking the sim out, just to be on the safe side. AT&T would be happy to blindside me with international data charges if even 1 kb slips through.

3. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

You can just leave your phone on Airplane mode for the whole trip, and then just turn on Wifi and use that. That's what I've been doing, since I've currently been in France for a little over a month.

The only thing I hate though is that almost every time I open the iMessages app, I'll get a pop up message stating that I have to disable Airplane mode to be able to send messages (even though I can send imessages through Wifi). And so sometimes I accidentally press the button to disable Airplane mode, and I'll receive a few text messages which I don't want to receive because it's expensive.