iphone 4 on 4.3.3jb or go to 5.01 now in anticipation

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DeftwillP, Nov 28, 2011.

1. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

Title says it all. My wife has my old 4 that's jb on 4.3.3 and has no problems other than the proximity sensor being ******. I want to upgrade to 5.whatever on it once there's a jailbreak but we obviously already missed the 5.0 window.

On my 4s, I've put off upgrading to 5.01 as it will obviously be easier for jb whenever it happens if its on 5. But it seems like we may end up getting screwed with hers if we don't go ahead and bite the bullet and go to 5.01 now. I wanna say we're ok and that apple will just release a new version within a few days of the jailbreak that patches that exploit but I'm not sure.

Thoughts?

2. Apple..., Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I actually took the plunge to iOS 5.0.1 a few days ago. I would update now. Who knows when Apple will release a new update? (and I doubt there'll be a jailbreak before they do, especially if Chronic Dev is even asking for help). If you must jailbreak, however, there is a tethered version available via redsn0w.

3. DeftwillP thread starter macrumors 6502

You mean there is a tethered jailbreak.....not untethered.

4. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Haha yes! Fixed it. My bad. :cool:

5. DeftwillP thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone else wanna chime in before I do this tonight?

6. globalist macrumors 6502a

I'm on 5.0, still expecting an untethered jailbreak but my resolve is growing weaker each day.

I've also realized I do not really need a jailbreak (what with the iOS5 notifications and faux "sbsettings" now available by default) but I'd still like to keep my doors open.

So will I gain any benefits by upgrading to 5.0.1? My iP4 battery was never affected by 5.0 but if there's a gain to be had from 5.0.1 then why not take the plunge, seeing as no unthethered JB is in sight anyway?

7. CoachStall macrumors 6502

CoachStall

I'm on 5.0 with my 4S, waiting for a JB...

Does 5.0.1 offer any real benefits? My batter life is g2g.

Whats the consensus, better to wait on 5.0 or go to 5.0.1?

8. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

I may be going this route too.. 5.0.1 that is.

I'm currently 4.3.3 Jailbroken on my iPhone4, but just like you and others; held off updating in hope of an untethered 5.0 JB that never happened:(

Then 5.0.1 released, and now apple has seeded 5.1 to developers... and still no sign of an untether...

I have so many JB tweaks making my phone a joy to use... it will sadden me if I lose them all. Some are so crucial for my day to day usage... little things like Ask To Send/Call, Navigate from maps, 3Gunrestrictor, sometimes you don't relaise how important these things are until you need them.

Forn the first time I'm contemplating going down the tethered route. Many people may say its worked out good for them, but there has been a few times when I've needed to reboot my phone away from a PC! and crashes aren't impossible!

9. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

i am waiting till xmas on 5.0 for a jb tether/untether.

10. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I am on OS5 with semi tethered package installed. I have reboot it few times and there isn't any problem yet. Hopefully, untethered jailbreak on OS5/5.0.1 is coming soon. If there isn't I am happy with semi tether on my phone for now.