Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radek42

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2008
Here, there, and everywhere
Hi,

I have an opportunity to take advantage of corporate wireless plans, but there is a catch:
I can only get one iP4s. The second phone would be iP4. Now the question is if iP4s is enough of improvement over iP4. Mind you that I will keep for quite some time so "future-proving" (if such thing even exists with cell phones) is important.

I know Siri is only available on 4s as well as better camera. I think I could live without these things. I am more interested in overall feel and behavior of the phone during regular use. Can you really tell the difference?

The thing that might be a deal-breaker for iP4 is dual antenna design on the iP4s. Do you see significant reception improvement with 4s over 4?

One final note. It will be my first iPhone (smart phone for that matter) so I looking for smooth experience.

Comments are greatly appreciated.
R>

radek42

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2008
To use corporate rate I can only get one iP4s ... the second phone is either BB or iP4. The voice as well as data rates are much better than consumer ones so I am tempted.

I'd like to know how iP4 feels in comparison with 4s.

Thanks, R>

Why would you not go with the 4S over the 4? You already listed all the improvements in your original post, I'm confused.

kellemar

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2010
To use corporate rate I can only get one iP4s ... the second phone is either BB or iP4. The voice as well as data rates are much better than consumer ones so I am tempted.

I'd like to know how iP4 feels in comparison with 4s.

Thanks, R>

umm..duh. Of course the 4S would be better than the ip4.

radek42

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2008
The 4s is, no doubt, better phone than 4. However, considering possible plan discounts (approx. $200/year) would iP4 offer significantly(*) lesser experience compared to iP4s.

I would really appreciate insights from people who used both phones (possibly side-by-side).

Thanks, R>

(*) Of course, this will be quite personal ...

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
You say that you are gonna be keeping the phone for quite some time. The 4S is newer so shouldn't it be a no brainer on which to get? I've had both the 4 and 4S and yes I would recommend getting the 4S.

Edge1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2011
I got my 4S on release weekend and ended up returning. It's a fantastic device but IMO not much of a BIG improvement over the 4. So I'm back to my 4. HOWEVER with that said seeing you have the choice between either or, I would go with the 4S. ;)

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Given that you'd be saving a lot by going with a 4 over a 4S, then go with the 4. It's sure a lot better than a BB.

heyloo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2006
NY
I didn't quite understand the debate here - iPhone 4S, absolutely. Until I read through the thread - tough decision, but iPhone 4 may be the winner for you.

I made the switch from iPhone 4 to 4S and I must say that the improvement is quite noticeable and am very satisfied. Siri, along with the speed bump makes everything run very zippy on my 4S, and the new camera is a great bonus too. I was skeptical about the jump at first but I don't regret making the jump.

That said, I still think I could've stuck with my iPhone 4 until iPhone 5 in 2012. iPhone 4 still is a great phone and 4S really is a 'bump' to an already great device. You lose out on Siri but to be honest, there are a lot of things that Siri 'can't' do at present (although 5.1 will be releasing new features) and I'm not sure if Siri itself is enough. Camera improvements and processor upgrades are pretty significant; however I think I could compare the upgrade to going from an i5 to i7 perhaps? If you could afford the jump, by all means go for it. But it doesn't mean the iPhone 4 can't last you until at least the iPhone 5.

Seeing that you're considering the economic advantages (and it $200/yr does sound pretty significant) of getting the iPhone 4 over 4S, I'd think that you might favor the idea of 'saving' the $200 'toward' your new iPhone 5 purchase next year? :)

If you're 'really' stumped about which one to get, maybe you could borrow an iPhone 4 from a friend (or hypothetically speaking, I suppose you could buy an unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple and return within 30 days, although I'm not sure how feasible that is) to compare with a 4S from the Apple Store.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I didn't quite understand the debate here - iPhone 4S, absolutely. Until I read through the thread - tough decision, but iPhone 4 may be the winner for you.

I made the switch from iPhone 4 to 4S and I must say that the improvement is quite noticeable and am very satisfied. Siri, along with the speed bump makes everything run very zippy on my 4S, and the new camera is a great bonus too. I was skeptical about the jump at first but I don't regret making the jump.

That said, I still think I could've stuck with my iPhone 4 until iPhone 5 in 2012. iPhone 4 still is a great phone and 4S really is a 'bump' to an already great device. You lose out on Siri but to be honest, there are a lot of things that Siri 'can't' do at present (although 5.1 will be releasing new features) and I'm not sure if Siri itself is enough. Camera improvements and processor upgrades are pretty significant; however I think I could compare the upgrade to going from an i5 to i7 perhaps? If you could afford the jump, by all means go for it. But it doesn't mean the iPhone 4 can't last you until at least the iPhone 5.

Seeing that you're considering the economic advantages (and it $200/yr does sound pretty significant) of getting the iPhone 4 over 4S, I'd think that you might favor the idea of 'saving' the $200 'toward' your new iPhone 5 purchase next year? :)

If you're 'really' stumped about which one to get, maybe you could borrow an iPhone 4 from a friend (or hypothetically speaking, I suppose you could buy an unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple and return within 30 days, although I'm not sure how feasible that is) to compare with a 4S from the Apple Store.

Great answer, agree completely.

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the $200/year is about $16/month: to me, at least, that's worth the upgrade. I compared my 4S to my 4 quite a bit before I sold the 4, and I found the overall experience to be better: faster performance, significantly better data speeds, the camera, and Siri.

With the 4S on AT&T, I've been seeing data speeds of about double to what I had on the 4 (Verizon and Sprint aren't able to take advantage of this from what I've read, though) . Web browsing is much snappier. In apps like Sportstap and the Uverse program guide, the data updates much faster than the 4. I love the improved camera, especially the significantly increased speed of its operation: it's much faster at being ready to take a shot, and the shot to shot time is very quick. I've been using Siri a lot, and I find it to be very useful as I explore its capabilities. I have to remind myself that Siri is available, but now I can set appointments, reminders, send texts, etc when I think of it instead of putting it off until I can type safely (and by then I've often forgotten what I wanted to do). I remember a time when email was not yet prevalent and hearing people say that it sounded interesting, but they didn't think that they'd use it much. Anyway, I think that if you take a little time to learn Siri, you'd find it useful.

My wife has a 4, and when I use it now, I know that I don't want to go back from the 4S: the 4 is a less satisfying experience to me.

All that said, I understand that the 4S is not a worthwhile upgrade to others and that they don't see much improvement, but if you're starting fresh and the extra $/per month doesn't put you in a bind, I think that you should go for the 4S. I wouldn't want to lock myself into the older technology for 2 years.

Last edited:

szolr

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
London, UK
Get a 4S. The only people who should worry about the 4S not being a good enough upgrade is people who already have a 4. You, on the other hand, haven't got an iPhone. You haven't even got a smartphone. If you want to join the smartphone revolution, enter at the top end not in the middle.

Pjoseph

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
maybe im reading it wrong but How is the 4S $200 more per/year? and I would think the monthly bill would be the same between 4 and 4s?

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
Some factors to consider...

Firstly, since it is YOUR FIRST smart phone ever, which ever you choose is going to feel like it's rocket powered compared to your old phone.

Secondly, even though 200.00 per year breaks down to about 16.00 per month as a previous poster suggested, it is still, when all is said and done $200.00 in YOUR pocket, not some carriers.

I have an Ip4 and have no desire to upgrade to the 4s. As an average user, it does exactly what I need and MORE.

I would suggest that, however, cell phones and the more progressive means of 3G, LTE etc will move you to get an upgraded phone in the future.

I have a friend who still uses the iP3GS and still likes it, but is waiting for iP5 to come out.

I also plan on upgrading to iP5 as I recognize that the iP4 will within the next year or two, likely be left behind in patches, upgrades etc.

Cell phones are built to last, but unfortunately it seems that the technology advance ends up leaving them in the dust before their time.

If you are really serious about wanting to keep this phone for the duration of at min 3-4 years and won't be lured by shiny new iP5, then I would suggest the 4s.

Will you be on contract for this phone and unlikely to upgrade during the duration of your contract? If so, go with the newest. If you are not on contract and can pick and choose when to leave or stay. Consider saving the money on your iP4 and then just upgrade to 5 if you so wish later.

From MY personal experience, if there is technology to be had and I "settle" for the most practical. I usually regret it later, especially if the cost of the "best" is within reason and achievable.

Good luck either way!

I will have no problem sitting on my iP4 (metaphorically speaking) until the 5 or it's equivalent comes out. Not a harship with this phone at all.

WW

Nsimmons03

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2011
Camas, WA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Go with the 4s. I have the 4s and my wife has the 4. We both have noticed the speed of the 4s compared to the 4. It's not huge but it is noticeable.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
4(S) ALL THE WAY!!!

I've had both and they are DIFFERENT phones.

I actually like the placement of the antenna breaks better on the 4(S) than the GSM 4. Also, for ME the dual-core processor ALONE is worth the upgrade. Let alone, faster data speeds, siri and better camera.

Data is king, for most that is. If you value your time and money, and I believe you do, then what you may spend upfront you DEFINITELY will get back in time from time saved with the quicker data.

Both phones feel substantial with some reporting that the vibrating is more/less to their liking on the 4(S).

Not to mention in closing the SUPERIOR designed antenna. Lastly, to speak on the battery issue... there is none, for me at least not with 5.0 nor 5.0.1

This is EASILY the best phone I've owned to date both software and hardware wise.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I have an opportunity to take advantage of corporate wireless plans, but there is a catch:
I can only get one iP4s. The second phone would be iP4. Now the question is if iP4s is enough of improvement over iP4. Mind you that I will keep for quite some time so "future-proving" (if such thing even exists with cell phones) is important.

I guess the confusing thing is, are you getting one phone or two? If one, get the 4S no question. If you're getting two phones (one for spouse?) then a 4S + 4 is not a bad combo, my wife is using my old 4 and it's a fine phone. I'm ordering a 4 for my mother to put on our family plan too, she'll be fine with it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

I'm also confused about the two phones business. For whom or what is the second phone? If a spouse/partner/friend/child is using the second phone, it would depend on what they want.

As far as "future proofing," when it comes to current software, Apple tends to provide OS support two generations back most of the time (e.g. right now, the latest OS is available with many/most features on the 3GS and 4 as well as 4S). The newest apps are often fairly laggy on two generations back (3GS). Meaning, that by the end of next year, when the next iPhone is out, I'd guess apps would be a little laggy on the 4, and then the next year (two years from now), support for the 4 might start to taper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.