iPhone 4 orange bumper "polishing" tiny area of the steel band.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WeegieMac, Apr 15, 2012.

1. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I've read other threads, and I'm not going all OCD and rushing off to Apple to demand a replacement (I'm out of warranty anyway, not that it matters).

I have the orange Apple bumper, official one, and after using it today while out for a couple of hours, I removed it upon getting home and noticed that there's two little polished marks on the band. I cleaned the band and wiped inside the bumper before applying it, but even when checking the bumper for rough areas, I can't feel anything that would continually rub and cause these little markings.

I used it again around the house for an hour or so tonight, and again after removing the bumper, the polished spots look a little more pronounced. It's only in this one little area, but while I could just keep the bumper on permanently, I don't really want whatever the hell it is continually rubbing away and causing more noticeable damage.

Is there anything out there, available in the UK, to cover the antenna prior to applying the bumper?

Cheers.

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

Ive had the same issue with using an original apple bumper and an unbranded one too.

I resolved this by purchasing spectra strips from Lucky Labs which protects the antenna band.

3. aneftp macrumors 601

Nope. Same happened to my wife iPhone with orange bumper and blue bumper. Thick it's cause by how tight the bump snaps on.

And we had official apple store bumpers also. So can't blame the generic bumpers.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

There's a few companies that make vinyl bands for it like icolor wrap and lucky labs. Don't get too obscessed about getting the band marked up though. It gets marked super easily.

5. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Just had a look at Lucky Labs, it says they send you three sets of decals (you can choose 3 colours, in case you get bored of one of them), as well as a home button cover, and all for $9.99.

Just checking it out along with UK shipping costs. Thanks! :D

Edit: $2.99 International First Class. That'll do.

----------

That's not an issue, there is some mild scratches (remember, I've owned this iPhone 4 since day two of release) on the antenna that you can see under certain light if you are obsessed enough to look.

I also clipped the top right corner of my iPhone 4 off the bottom left corner of my aluminium iMac as I went to place it on the foot of the iMac while charging. The result was a score on the corner of the iPhone. This was a while ago, so it's not as if the band is "perfect" outwith these polished spots due to the bumper.

The Lucky Labs band cover looks like a great deal at $9.99 plus $2.99 shipping to the UK for three sets of decals. Would let me put the bumper on without worrying about what it's doing in there, lol.

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Yeah, I've just had three delivered to me a couple of weeks ago.
    I went with the black glossy ones. x2 gsm and x1 cdma which covers the sim tray. I tend to take my bumper off once every couple of weeks to clean the phone, and this has no effect on the strips either. Just remember not to stretch them while applying , just let the naturally lay as they are really well cut.

Do a little googling as sometimes there are coupon codes still live which you can enter at the time of ordering. Just a tip !

7. WeegieMac thread starter Guest

WeegieMac

Thanks again mate, appreciate the tip regarding Lucky Labs.

Do you know if the home button cover is just a solid colour the same as the skin colour ordered, or is it an exact copy of the actual home button. My home button is covered with micro scratches anyway (it is the physical part of the phone we use most after all).

Would be pretty cool if the home button cover was just an exact copy of the real home button.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The home button that came with mine is solid glossy black