iPhone 4 out of warranty hardware issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by studio81, Dec 1, 2011.

1. studio81 macrumors member

Hi all,

I've been having a problem with my iPhone that a full reset, wipe and restore (a few times) hasn't helped.

I brought it to the Genius Bar yesterday and they said it sounds like a hardware issue. I bought the iPhone 4 when it came out so it's 3-4 months out of the warranty. However, while not directly admitting liability, they said the phone is in fine condition, the water things haven't been activated, there are no scrapes or bumps, so it wasn't something I've done.

They said they can replace it but it would be the standard £120 odd. I explained I didn't find it fair that 4 months out of warranty, on a device I bought for around £600, was failing due to no fault of my own and wouldn't be replaced. Their suggestion was to try and claim it off my home insurance but a) it's not worth it and b) I don't feel I should have to.

Does anyone have any tips on how to escalate the issue? I tried to in the store but it didn't get me anywhere. Or am I insane and asking too much?

I was surprised, the Genius Bar were usually very accommodating in the past. I guess they had to tighten it up.

2. Zxxv Suspended

3. studio81 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers, have sent them an email. Never even thought to look down that route.

Tried calling Apple Technical Support, spoke to a manger, they don't want to know. They accept that an iPhone should last more than 1 year 4 months but can't do anything about it.

Think I'm going to have to write to them.

I'm I being crazy thinking an iPhone should last longer than that?

4. Zxxv Suspended

No your not crazy. It should last longer. UK law is pretty good. Wait till you hear back from consumer direct. They helped me with my bike when then shop didn't want to do anything. Took them to small claims. Got it sorted how I wanted aNd cost them time and money. I doubt apple would send anyone to represent them in small claims so youd win by default. I've heard this done many times. Not with iphone just saying with other goods and services. It's how no win no fees became so popular in the uk. But Id wait to hear what advice you get. chIn up :)

Also seen people win over TVS breaking just outside of warranty. Good luck

5. studio81 thread starter macrumors member