iPhone 4 phone of the year at MWC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Andronicus, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

2. shadrap macrumors 6502

Exactly, this is why Apple could skip a year and it wouldn't matter. They would still be on top. These other phones just can't compare.

3. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I'm starting to agree with shadrap's kind of thinking. If there were ever a time that Apple could stick to just updating the iOS and not release a new phone this seems to be it. I still think it would be odd to release the 4 to Verizon and then 4 or 5 months later release a totally new model. And with other phones still trying to be "iPhone killers" that shows that the iPhone is still on top. Plus, demand would be that much higher in Summer 2012 when a new model could be released.

4. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

It is not "odd" for Apple to release a brand new iPhone this summer, just because Verizon got it now, and only 4 months later a newer model comes out.

You do realize the iPhone is on like a dozen or more different carriers, NOT just ATT and Verizon. Same thing happened like a year or two ago, the biggest carrier in England got it like in January, but there was another English carrier that had it as well. They didn't stop releasing a new iPhone that summer, just because one carrier got it just 5 - 6 months ago.

iPhone's are like VideoCards for computers. Every year nVidia and ATI release new cards, some years it is a major next gen powerhouse, and some years it is just a refresh, but like clockwork there are always new VideoCards every year.

Lets say you're happy with you new iPhone4, but what about people still on the tail end of their iPhone3GS contract, they might want a new upgrade this Summer, and an iPhone5 would be perfect for them, and then iPhone4 owners can wait to iPhone6 if they want contract wise.

5. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Thats a good point. I guess timing doesn't matter. But I still say the iPhone could still dominate if they only release an update to iOS.

6. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

people on verizon are just wishful thinking about another iphone not being released this year. Their will be another iphone and that's that. People on verizon who just got the iphone 4 now could have waited for the new one this year.

7. shadrap macrumors 6502

You say that, but the ones like me who actually spend time on forums like this are going to pay full price for the latest and greatest and will upgrade regardless.

Until LTE which will be 2012 what can Apple improve besides iOS?

A better camera? The 5mp camera on the iPhone 4 is still better than the 8mp androids that are coming out.

Faster Processor? I would be willing to bet iOs runs better and smoother with the current single core than any of the dual core androids.

Desgin? No phone out or coming out is as well designed as the iPhone 4, minus the whole antenna debacle which was more of an issue if u made it one.

More Memory? Most phones don't have what the iPhone already has in it's 16GB and 32GB models.

I just don't see where Apple has to do anything to keep up besides tweaking iOS.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Larger screen, better antenna design, larger battery, NFC and HSPA+

Book it :cool:

9. terencemac macrumors member

terencemac

I look at it like this. i signed a 2yr deal on iphone 4 with phone for free. I wont change mid contract if the 5 comes out. When my deal ends i will get the latest offering Apple have. If a new one was a few months away i would wait.
    If your a proper tech head who wants the latest phone as it arrives its best you buy it outright and have a cheap sim only deal then sell it and buy the latest one when it arrives. Since the one your selling is only 1yr old you should get good money for it......

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

This is stupid, the iPhone 4 was the best phone of 2010. How can they say its the best phone of 2011 when we're still in the first quarter?

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Thats because they aren't saying its the best phone of the entire 2011 year... only that its currently the best phone ;)

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Exactly!

The iPhone 4 just doesn't compare to any other phone in the market today.

I can only imagine what the next iPhone is going to bring to the industry :D