iPhone 4 Questions: External wireless mic? Quality of video? Use a tripod with it?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by magentawave, Jun 15, 2010.

1. magentawave macrumors regular

I have some questions about the iPhone 4 and would appreciate your input please...

1) Does anyone know the specs for the HD video recording for the iPhone 4? 1080p or?

2) What kind of cable will I need to transfer the photos and video I take with an iPhone 4 to my Macbook Pro? And is that cable included with the iPhone 4?

3) Does the iPhone 4 have a screw-in thing where I can attach a tripod?

4) I was going to buy a Kodak Z18 HD video camera to film some instructional videos because it records nice HD 1080p video, has an external mic input and costs only $150.00. Does anyone know if the iPhone 4 will be able to do video that is as good as the Kodak Z18?

5) Does anyone know if I can use a external wireless mic with an iPhone 4 and can you recommend one?

Thanks

Steve

2. homrb macrumors regular

1. its 720p and up to 30 fps

2. you can use the usb iphone connector cable that comes with the phone

3. no

4.you should probably get the kodak. I wouldn't recommend replacing an HD video camera with the iPhone

5. i would assume that there would be some accessory made by another company for that but i am not sure

3. magentawave thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder how noticeable the difference between 1080p and 720p would be?

Does the iPhone 4 have a removable memory card or are you stuck with either 16gb or 32gb?

Thanks for answering. :)

Steve

4. kyleaa macrumors regular

There is no removable memory in the iPhone, you are stuck with what you get.

As to how noticeable the difference would be, it depends on what you are displaying it on. Keep in mind that standard dvd resolution is 480i. The quality of the video depends on more factors than just the resolution though. 720p is plenty for most applications, but the quality of the video can still vary greatly between cameras. It is impossible to compare the two yet since no real testing or reviewing has been done on the iPhone 4.

5. magentawave thread starter macrumors regular

I should have mentioned that I will be burning the video on to a DVD instead of just uploading it to Youtube (which I think only does 720p anyway). I wonder how apparent the difference in quality of a 720p video and a 1080p video would be when seen on a DVD?

Steve

6. homrb macrumors regular

well if the dvd you are burning on is upscaling the video, then yes there is a difference, but not by much

7. amtravco macrumors newbie

I compared the 720p video from my iPhone 4 to that from my Sony HDR-HC5 HDV camera, a pretty decent tape-based HD camcorder. I've used the Sony to make very nice videos of family events on Blu-ray disks on our HDTV.

I was pretty surprised to find that the iPhone video shows much more detail than the Sony video. It really looks much better. The fact that the Sony is 1080i and the iPhone is 720p doesn't really matter. 720p can make great HD, and the iPhone is pretty impressive, from what I've seen.

8. geerlingguy, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2011

geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

It seems like there's a chance this will work, but it might need to wait until there's a Dock-connector accessory :(