iPhone 4 reception all the time very bad. Any way to fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Darkker, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Darkker macrumors newbie

I just got my unlocked iPhone 4. However, the reception is much worse compared to iPhone 3GS and 3G in the same place with same SIM-cards on two different carriers. iPhone 4 bars are always 3-5 smaller. Also, very often it is impossible to get service.

I don't think this has anything to do with this widely known problem of touching iPhone since the problem is there even when I don't touch the iPhone. I have tried to restore the software and reset settings. Is there anything I could still try? Is it time to call Apple?

2. xela24678 macrumors regular

I suggest to call apple. But since you unlocked it, I don't think they will do anything

3. Darkker thread starter macrumors newbie

4. liambre macrumors newbie

Is the iPhone 4 you have running a newer iOS release than the 3G and 3GS? The new update features a supposedly "improved" algorithm for measuring signal strength, and you should expect to see less bars.

If what you are saying is correct tho about not being able to achieve any sort of service, there is probably a problem with the phone.

Take it to apple and see what they say?

5. Darkker thread starter macrumors newbie

My 3GS is running 4.0. For the first day iPhone 4 4.0 and after that 4.0.1. The difference was 2-3 bars even with 4.0. With 4.0.1 there are most of the time 0-3 bars. I think it didn't affect when I'm without service and when not.

I think I'm going to enable numeric signal strength to compare. Should the numeric value be pretty much the same on both devices or iPhone 4 performing better?

I called Apple. It is impossible to get the warranty service from Finland at least before iPhone 4 is launched here. Currently my options are to send it to someone in UK so courier could pick it up or visit any Apple Store in Europe. However, I don't know anyone from UK and there are no Apple Store in Finland. Anyway, according to Apple it is possible to return the phone by sending it to Apple Store and then I can buy new one somewhere.