iPhone 4 replacement back glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sdilley14, Oct 16, 2012.

1. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Well, after about 20 months, I finally dropped my iPhone 4 this past weekend and shattered the back glass. :/ I've done some research and it seems like replacing it is pretty cheap and easy, but there are a seemingly endless number of options for purchasing replacement glass. Ideally I would just like another black cover. As close to OEM as possible (though I know Apple doesn't sell OEM parts like that directly). The closest Apple store to me is about 2.5 hours away, so I would like to try and get the parts and do it myself if possible.

Has anyone here ever done this? Any suggestions for places to get a quality replacement cover? With the number of places selling these I'm pretty skepitcal as to which ones are quality and which are junk. Some look legit, some look generic, some look like plastic covers with black Apple stickers covering the back. :/ Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

2. macher macrumors 65816

macher

I do repairs and it's very easy to replace an iPhone 4 back. PM me

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Replacing the back glass is very easy a couple of minutes at most. You need a special driver to undo the two screws at the bottom and then slide the back up to release the clips that hold it in and then just lift off.

When you buy the replacement glass get the driver as well. I got my replacement glass in the UK so could recommend a supplier if you are in UK.

4. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

Yes it's very easy, but there's one problem. Replacement panels are fakes since there's no genuine repair parts on the market. Apple does not distribute them to anyone. Also, fakes are of way lower quality, not as good as genuine ones. Not to mention on most of fakes the printed information about iPhone model etc will be different than on your genuine one. That said, I'd go to the apple store first to ask about the repair price. If they're gonna ask too much then you have no option but to go for the fake one.

5. sdilley14 thread starter macrumors 65816

This was exactly my concern. I have no problem doing the replacement myself. And I would definitely buy the screwdriver kit that it is needed to do it. I'm just wondering what are some good outlets to get decent replacement pieces at? There are a thousand places to buy them...I have no idea which are fair quality and which are complete junk. I guess I don't so much mind if it isn't a 100% genuine Apple OEM part...if it is more or less identical to the real deal, that's fine with me. I'm getting a 5 in two months anyway, this is mostly just a measure to keep my iPhone 4 "resellable".

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You have an iphone that is two generations old and you are worried about OEM parts. Apple will charge you $150 and swop out the phone for another Iphone 4.

7. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Only Apple sells the OEM glass. The $10 on ebay are fine though. Look decent. Just make sure it's got the camera lens built in-some do not. If you go to Apple, it's $29 to replace yours.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

are you sure about that? I think the ones on ifixit are OEM b.c they actually use parts from original phones. Also, there is a huge difference in quality and feel of the "knock off" versions. I personally have bought from ifixit and it is identical.

http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4-Rear-Glass-Panel-GSM-ATT/IF182-002

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

10. GoodBoy macrumors 6502

They don't sell original ones. Noone does. Apple dosn't cooperate with any service repairs outside of their own. If you want an original genuine part, the only way is to repair at Apple. Like someone else said, go ahead and ask ifixit, they probably gonna respond by saying something like "that's OEM", which is bs to trick you into thinking it's the same quality part, but it's not made by Apple and the quality is inferior, though it might be good by it's own standards.

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Nobody sells OEM even ifixit which prices are ridiculously high.

But there are some good quality ones though.

12. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Exactly. No matter what some website says, it's not OEM. But, ebay has plenty of decent backs for $10 or less.

13. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Yes there are replacement backs that are good.

14. MoonlightDrive macrumors newbie

I've had both good and bad experiences in my repair history. The first time, I made the mistake of buying one off Amazon...which was a terrible experience overall, didn't pay attention to the seller rating or anything. I did some research online, checked iFixit's prices...and felt a little unsettled. I eventually came across a smaller reseller called RadTech. RadTech seemed like the supermarket of accessories, having a little bit of everything. I checked their parts, and after comparing their prices to iFixit I found a huge difference. iFixit lists backs for 79.95, and RadTech has them for $30. I took the risk, ordered RadTech's glass, plus their pentalobe driver, and have been very happy with both so far, plus I saved like 40 bucks. :D

15. pltvu macrumors newbie

Bought one back glass from Ebay , camera lens is terrible!

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm sorry, but you're wrong/misinformed; these parts are (as I already said):

17. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

It says it won't have the apple logo and the writings

:confused:

18. willmtaylor, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That is, unfortunately, correct, but they're still OEM, which is more than anyone else can say, from what I've taken from the discussion.

Besides, for me, that's a very minor thing, but I can understand how that would bother some.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

the ifixit ones look identical in every way, shape, and form....even the writing

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Wow, $80!?!? Gotta pay the bills to fly people to Australia and be the first teardown, I guess. :D

I'd rather pay someone else $40 to fix it for me, not have the graphics on the back, and have a lifetime replacement warranty.

That's just me though. Each to his own.

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

But are not OEM.

Again, if it's not from the Apple store, it's not original, period.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Not to be too combative or obtuse, but I've already explained to you that your information is incorrect. Why do you insist on reposting it? Trying to break the 1K mark, perhaps? ;)

23. Lyshen macrumors 6502

iPhone 4/4s rear glass I believe Apple charges $29 and tax.

The front glass is the expensive one.

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I want to say if the front is broken apple will just offer you an OOW replacement. With the 5 they made it easier to repair, so will go that route i hear.