iphone 4 restoration problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coromandeljohn, Oct 15, 2013.

1. coromandeljohn macrumors newbie

"not eligible for build" is the message itunes (10.6.3) gives me. I've searched many forums and tried much, but no luck yet. I've flushed my DNS cache, ensured my hosts file only has # 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com, (even tried deleting all apple references), and reinstalled itunes. My other iphone4 is using 6.1.3 and it all shows up in itunes. Any suggestions gratefully received.

2. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Try doing a manual install of iOS 7.0.2 without connecting it to iTunes...

Once you are able to get it connected, if you can't get 7.0.2 installed through iTunes, you can do a manual install this way:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2013/10/fix-activation-error-ios-7.html

1. Download the appropriate, and very large file
    2. Backup your iPhone
    3. Hold Shift key, click on Restore iPhone
    4. Select file you downloaded, and viola...
    5. Restore your phone using your most recent backup

3. coromandeljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I believe/believed that I could only talk to my Mac through itunes, and itunes will not run with my phone until it has been restored, and i cannot restore it when it says 'ineligible for build'. Are you suggesting that I DFU the phone and 'option-restore' with IOS7? Might that screw up the firmware, or am I hopelessly mixed up?

4. g4manimac, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

g4manimac macrumors 6502

I have seen this many many times there is a youtube video with instructions how to get around it but u said u already edited the host files? most of the time I use another computer.I have this happen a lot after I use tinyumbrella have u been using that? sometimes I cant get it and am forced to use another computer

5. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Can you not "check for new software" through the phone under settings>software update

6. coromandeljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

The 'ineligibility' means that I cannot use the phone, so cannot check/run any of it's settings

7. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

Have you tried putting it in DFU mode and seeing if that helped? I would search YouTube for how to do that, I've done it before, but only while watching a YouTube tutorial...

8. coromandeljohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I had been doing that; it's the only way to restore 'from scratch'. Your suggestion about updating to IOS7 worked for one of my phones, thanks so much. Unfortunately i put it aside (for itunes activation) until i could find someone with a newer machine, as the architecture of my PowerPC will not allow itunes 11.1, only 10 something. Doubly unfortunately, yesterday early evening we were burgled in broad daylight while I was in the garden, and all of my phones and cameras were stolen (along with other stuff, I'm now looking for a new laptop....). Any other suggestions about my Mac not being able to recognise/pass on apple's authorisation would be welcome
    Thanks again