iPhone 4 restore fails at firmware stage: Ideas?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by falconer., Jun 28, 2012.

1. falconer. macrumors member

I was excited to get my iPhone 4 (16 GB, black, AT&T) unlocked by AT&T since I had just finished my 2 year contract. They did it. So, hooray. That's where the good news ends.

Supposedly, all I had to do was backup and restore my iPhone 4, and I'd be good to go. Well, I tried to restore it several times and the same thing keeps happening.

It gets all the way through the software stages, verifying etc. etc. and then moves on to "Restoring iPhone firmware...", where it seems to hang for a couple minutes at a non-determinate progress bar before moving on to a determinate progress bar. It gets about half-way across the progress bar and then the whole thing fails:

"An unknown error has occurred (-1)."

If I bring up Console before this happens, I can see it stepping through "operation 19 progress 1", "progress 2", etc. until it gets up to "progress 47" and then it bails, spits out a log and throws the error message.

This happens while it's working on the baseband. I tried DFU mode (as opposed to recovery mode), same story. I tried taking it to an Apple Store, they're no help. They only offered to replace it with a refurbished unit for $149, and left my alternative as jailbreaking (yes, they really suggested that). So I tried jailbreaking, and that brings back the software but leaves me without a baseband (so no antennas, no cell signal, no wi-fi, no bluetooth).

Any ideas or hope left for my iPhone 4?

EDIT: Please move to the appropriate subforum if necessary; I just noticed them up there.

2. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

What firmware are you restoring to and what version is your iTunes?

3. falconer. thread starter macrumors member

It's all the latest stuff; iOS 5.1.1, iTunes 10.6.3, etc. Same deal at the Apple Store.

4. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Is TinyUmbrella installed on your computer or have your host files ever been changed?

5. falconer. thread starter macrumors member

I've never taken any action to jailbreak my phone or change any of that stuff on my computer. Remember, the same thing happened at the Apple Store. I've done it all "by the book" by Apple and AT&T, which admittedly makes it more frustrating that I've gotten hosed now.

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

This may sound silly, but if you have another computer in the house try to use that to restore your phone. I've looked up error -1 in the meantime and haven't found a thing about it.