iPhone 4 S for repair (possible wet damage) - question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zenton, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Zenton macrumors member

Hi!

My camera and flash light are broken. It happened when I was jogging two months ago with the phone in my pocket. It was like -20 C cold (in Finland), and the battery died. When I got back home, the whole phone was frosty, and didnt even start up at first. When it finally started (long time on a charger) the flash went on. Now the flash is always on, its not bright but it is on. Also the back camera wont start. Front camera works.

Now I talked to an Apple guy on the phone and someone is going to come and get my phone for repair this week. The Apple guy asked that had the phone had any contact with liquids and I explained the same thing what I just explained here. He just said ok, thats it.

Now I wonder, what IF Apple will see this as a problem caused by ME and water, and will not repair the phone? Will I have to pay? Or do they just send it back? I understand there is some 'sensors' inside the phone that indicate if it has been wet. How sensitive are they?

Why I'm asking, is because I have a guy, who would install new camera and flash module for 99€, and if there is going to be trouble, payments etc. I might as well cancel the whole thing.

Thanks

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Just check the water sensors. Flash a light underneath the dock connector. If it shows pink then it has set off. There is also a disc in the headphone jack that can change to pink. Pink means it has come into contact with water.

3. Zenton thread starter macrumors member

Update: Apple swapped the phone for a new one for free. I guess I had some luck with the water sensors!