iPhone 4 savings with prepaid?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aKindGesture, Jul 17, 2013.

1. aKindGesture macrumors newbie

Hi community,

First time user here.

I just found out my 2 year contract is up with AT&T. I'm not savvy when it comes to SIMS and all the unlocking business. But can anyone steer me to a "prepaid plan" that I can save money with. My current AT&T plan is $75 dollars.

I do not go over 200 minutes of talking... not over 500 texts and never go over 1GB of data per month. Can anyone suggest a plan or way to save half of what I pay now?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

:p

2. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Straighttalk prepaid, $45/month with unlimited talk and text, 2GB of 3G data (throttled to Edge afterwards)
    No unlocking required because its an AT&T MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) and all you need to do is install an APN profile to enable data and MMS. Multiple tutorials for it are available online.

Good luck.

EDIT: Seems Straighttalk isn't an ATT MVNO anymore, so you may need to unlock your phone. I used unlock fusion for it, many suggest swift unlocks, take your pick.

3. djfmf macrumors member

I recommend tmobile prepaid. For $30 Get 100 minutes, unlimited text, and 5gb of 4g data. You can work this to your advantage by using VoIP and getting a google number.

I now use an iPad mini with 3gb of LTE data. Using VoIP I have a google number with unlimited talk, text, and voicemail all for $31 on AT&T. Work smarter and not harder for your money.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

OP needs to find carrier that uses att towers. Cause straight talk and tmobile plans on iPhone 4 850/1900 3 G bands will revert to Edge.

They won't get 3G speeds unless in reframed 1900 tmobile areas with their iPhone 4.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I still use my AT&T iPhone 4 on Straight Talk with no problems at all. Never needed to unlock it.

Although, the APN only gets Data working. To get MMS working required editing the APN Settings with a T-mobile SIM(google the tutorial), or jailbreaking and installing Tetherme. Of course either one of these renders installing the APN profile pointless.

6. TheProFTW macrumors regular

I think most metro markets are refarmed 1900?

7. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

I recommend getting your iPhone unlocked now before you switch, regardless of what you decide to go with.

If you Google "unlock AT&T iPhone, you'll find AT&T's Web site where you can request an unlock. It is free of charge and takes about a week for AT&T to process it.

After you get your iPhone unlocked,you will be able to use it on T-Mobile or any of its MVNO'S.

8. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You can get Net10 service without unlocking your phone as they still run on AT&T. For $50 a month you'll get unlimited talk, text and 1.5GB of data while using the AT&T network.

----------

You're "grandfathered" in. While your service will still presumably work for the life of the SIM card new customers are no longer able to purchase AT&T Straight Talks SIMS.