iPhone 4 'snatched' in London today

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AeroUK, Aug 10, 2010.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

AeroUK

Just a word of warning,

I was walking to the train today in North Acton and two kids on bikes came either side of me and the one on the right snatched my phone off me.

I ran after them for a while and then headed to the police station. After remembering I have MobileMe, I ran home and tried to located the phone.

It seemed to be taking a while to locate my iPad and my Phone soI took the decision to send a remote wipe (which seemed to go through). I did not want the thief's to obtain or damage any of my personal information.

I have spent all day trying to get a replacement from O2 but it may take a few days and I am scared that it will not be unlocked (the stolen one was from Apple).

Anyway just wanted to share my story. Try to be aware of who is around you when you are on your phone...

2. chembox macrumors 6502a

Jeez, how greedy are people nowadays? I'm glad you weren't hurt by them.

3. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I think that wasn't a smart thing to do. Just because you didn't want to wait a few extra minutes for connection you ruined your chances to find your devices forever? You could have simply stopped them from getting your personal data by locking the phone remotely using MobileMe, then using the rest of the time trying to find it using Find my iPhone. There was absolutely no need to wipe all your data.

I honestly think you were just "trigger happy" to use the feature and you thought that it would somehow help you recover your device if you could get that command through.

4. colder macrumors member

That sucks, my friend... I hope you get a replacement quickly, and the offenders find themselves under a train.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If I ever lose the phone, I intend to:

1) Use Find My iPhone to lock the device (this will stop people using the phone as it is configured by me).

2) Locate the phone on the map and see if I can go and recover it safely (I might have just misplaced it somewhere).

3) If I can't recover it safely, I'd remote wipe the device and then call O2 to cancel the phone and arrange a replacement.

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Bad times! Personally I would have kicked the **** out of them if i caught them but nowadays alot of thiefs carry knives in London.

Scum bags!!!

7. nednarm macrumors 6502

I hate little hood rats like this who go around commiting petty theft. It does my nut in when I hear stories like this.

I feel sorry for you man, I'd be fuming if that happened to me. I guess you can't really do anything about it, the police won't help. Did you have insurance on either your ipad or phone?

There's not much practicality in the ability to track your phone with mobileme, it's unlikely the police would go knocking at the kids house. I guess you could go there yourself and kick the **** out of that little punk.

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

I'm sorry that this happened. They will get what is coming to them some day!

9. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; Nexus One Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Gutting. :(

The best thing is you weren't physically hurt during the mugging. I hope you get a replacement swiftly.

10. adztaylor macrumors 68000

That really is awful dude, there really are some ***** around.

The main thing is you didn't get hurt! As much as it is **** things could have gone a LOT worse.

11. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

********* parasite scum.

Knowing this country it'll be sold for a fraction of it's value for a quick hit ... jaikie bastards.

Hope you get a replacement mate, although it's a positive you weren't hurt in the process of them taking it.

I am wary of the kind of people around me before taking my iPhone out my pocket. On the train home from work, it's like iPhone Central in the carriage I sit in alone. Once off the train, it's in the inside pocket and headphones in with iPod app on shuffle.

It's amazing how much attention the iPhone gets from scum as well as the general public.

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Sorry to hear about that, that sucks.

You probably did the right thing wiping it while you had the chance. I'm sure it sucked making that decision but at least your data is safe.

One good thing about living in the Southern part of the US.... you will have to get my gun before your able to take my phone.

13. itchystiches macrumors newbie

You sir are spot on. The criminals are armed. I say it is our right as law abiding citizens to protect our property.

14. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I love texas ;)

15. chembox macrumors 6502a

I hope you don't point at anyone with your firearm for stealing a phone, because that's a minimum of usually 5 years for physical assault, no matter who's the criminal.

16. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

I have a CCW permit, but idk if I'd shoot someone over my phone? If it was one of my Chanel purses they are going down tho. :D

17. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Yes, I just pull it out all the time actually, it really helps me get my way! :rolleyes:
    /sarcasm

I'm quite familiar with the statutes in my state, especially the ones that concern concealed weapons and the use of deadly force. My point is nobody will be taking my phone from me, if they decide to escalate the situation to the point where I am justified in drawing my weapon I would be more then happy to resolve the situation quite quickly.

It doesn't really matter what the item is. If it's mine, you can't have it. I will defend myself and my property in anyway that the law allows me. I don't believe in vigilante justice, but my actions of defending myself and my property could very easily help someone else down the road who would have been a victim of some other crime that person committed. Time for people to stand up for themselves (within the scope of what the law allows).

18. colder macrumors member

What is the first rule of firearm safety, after "all guns are always loaded?"

Do not point a weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy.

19. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

Can we not turn this thread into another gun law/rights & wrongs argument?

The US is an utterly different mindset to the UK when it comes to guns.

Our laws are so different that comprehending an American's opinion of when and where it's right and wrong to use a gun simply leads to arguments.

The guy had his phone snatched in London. That's the topic. ;)

20. Meatball macrumors regular

Make sure you get the phone blocked. Report the IMEI number to O2 IMMEDIATELY to stop the phone working in the UK.

21. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

AeroUK

I could have locked it!!

Guys thanks for the kind words I really appreciate it.

The poster that said about locking though. I did not realise I could have done that!!

I am pretty gutted right now, maybe I could have locked it and located it... At least the police would have had an idea of the thief's location and may have linked them to other crimes which happen a lot in that street apparently.

Oh well... :(

22. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Yes, your right, I should have realized that comment would start something, that was not my intention.

23. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

AeroUK

I did have O2 block the IMEI.

I hope that there is no way that it can be used after this. I have no idea about these things but I am hoping they will get no joy from my misfortune!

I wish I'd located them with findmyiphone and had their ass's busted. I would have felt like some kind of superhero.

At the moment I am awaiting my fate from O2 insure which apparently could take around 4 days or more...

24. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Don't beat yourself up over it. More then likely if they targeted you because they knew it was an iPhone they would have at least turned it off if not wiped it before anyone was able to actually track them down.

Keep your eyes open when your around that area, you never know if you will see them again.

25. prelag macrumors member

I have had my CCW permit for years. I've never had to use it until about six months ago when some thugs tried to rob me. It's amazing how a .45 literally makes scumbags soil their pants.

Now ask yourselves, when was the last time you heard of someone in the USA getting their phone snatched by some kids on bicycles?

There is a reason this kind of petty theft goes unchecked in the U.K. and it has everything to do with gun control.