iPhone 4 speaker not working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaveLicky, Aug 18, 2012.

1. DaveLicky macrumors newbie

Last night I noticed that my other half's 3GS can play music much louder than my 4.

Trying to work out why, I noticed that music only plays out of one of the speakers on the bottom of the phone. And no I'm not listening to mono.

Thinking back, I remember noticing this a long time ago (perhaps even from new) but didn't give it much thought.

1. Is this normal? I'm guessing not.
    2. With this being the case for a long time, and the phone now being 1 and a 1/2 years old, would apple do anything about it?

I'm annoyed at myself for not doing anything when I noticed it over a year ago. I have no proof that it's been like this for a long time, so apple could assume its a recent fault.

Btw I'm in the UK and on contract with Orange, if that makes any difference.

Cheers

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is completely normal. The other hole on the bottom is the microphone.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes. This is normal, as there is only one speaker. The other is a mic. See the user manual for a diagram showing this.

Also, as someone else will no doubt point out, try a search at MR. You'll be surprised (and probably chagrinned) to see this question asked since 2007. :)

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

5. DaveLicky thread starter macrumors newbie