iPhone 4 still a good phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theuserjohnny, May 5, 2013.

1. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I'm in the mist of restoring it (got it unlocked). I'm currently using a Google Nexus 4 and prior to that I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 (now broken). I know I won't get 4GLTE but other than that will it still be good for today's usage?

I got it off my Aunt for free because she upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S4. Her boyfriend is due for an upgrade later this year and he has the iPhone 5 and I've already talked to them about maybe purchasing it off of them for that nephew's discount or if I'm lucky they'll just give it to me as a gift.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Yes, still a good device for today's standards. You got it for free so enjoy it. :)

3. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

I shall this is my first time actually using an iPhone (and not using friends or seeing them in stores).

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

It's fine for basic things such as texting, phone calls, email, navigation etc. But apps will load slowly and seeing as how it didn't get much out of the iOS6 update I wouldn't expect much from iOS7 either.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Since it's his first time, what he doesn't know won't hurt him. Ooooops. ;)

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's average at best, using yesterdays technology. It will probably be a lot slower then your nexus 4. But it's more pocket friendly then most smartphones and has most of the useful features from google's apps.

7. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Surprisingly it isn't that bad. I mean I honestly don't do anything "intensive" I mainly use it for social media (instagram, facebook) and then the occasional video watching and surfing the web.

I was easily able to just import all my contacts via google onto my rMBP and then straight onto the phone.

If there is one thing I wish the phone had it would be swipe-to-text the phone size is so perfect for it and it's something I loved on the Nexus. Typing with two fingers wasn't as annoying as I thought it would be. Typing with one for some reason was tiring for my poor weak hands lol.

Yes it is way more pocket friendly but obviously watching videos was more enjoyable on the larger screen. Surfing the web was fine on the screen.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Everything currently on temappstore, I believe, will run on an iPhone 4. I am unaware of apps that will not, so if they exist, I would expect that number to be very low. Most devs create apps with older devices like this in mind.

That said, I did notice lag doing every day things on the 4 just before my wife sold hers. I am talking about basic stuff (no gaming or anything that one would think is a hardware taxing program). It is going on three years old, so this is to be expected. By no means would I call it unusable.

If you have a five lined up I wouldn't worry at all. Your experience shouldn't be so bad that you can't wait it out. There are still plenty of people out there that actually opt to get a 4 even as a new phone for them. It is a very capable phone and, for all intents and purposes, will likely remain so until Apple stops software support after which third parties will likely follow suit.

9. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

10. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

6 months ago before I had my iPhone 5 I'd have told you it still is a great phone, but now that I've upgraded I couldn't image going back to the 4. I've used my mom's 4 recently and it was like using an old computer...just didn't feel right anymore!

11. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

It's fine for basic things, I have a lot of friends still using their iphone 4's :)

12. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

That's the iPhone I've got. I'm happy with this model, but -- I'm in Belgium and there is no such thing here as a subsidised iPhone. Thus you have to pay the full price. And this is the reason I'm sticking for some time with this model: 700 euro bites. At the same time, there is nothing (except LTE and Siri) I'm missing with the 4th.

13. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Lots of people still use them. It's a great phone, I loved mine for 2 years.

14. theuserjohnny thread starter macrumors 6502

Today is my first actual day with the phone for the real world. For one this is a lot easier to just slip into the pocket. I like how easy it is to change to the emoji keyboard via just one button. On my nexus I have to pull down my notification and activate the keyboard.

Can't really speak on network because I reached my 5gb limit so I'm currently using edge. When I had 3G it wasn't that bad things were a tad slower than haspa+ but nothing to cry about.

I have yet to add music because I've just forgot to do it so I can't really do what I typically do for usages but so far battery seems to be draining less than my nexus.

Wish I could swipe away my notifications when I open the bar. Overall the transition from android to iOS isn't really bad. I think people honestly just over exaggerate it when switching os.