iphone 4 Stolen, question about new one.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bandofbrothers, Jun 26, 2012.

1. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi,

Well today my year old iPhone 4 was jacked while i was on a bus journey :(

Ive had it barred by my network and used findmyiphone to block and remote wipe it. No point contacting the police as i didn't have insurance.

It was on payg so they cannot run up any kind of bills before I blocked it.

I am now an owner of a nice new shiny iPhone 4s and awaiting the delivery of a micro sim from my network.

The iPhone 4 was jailbroken so my query is ;

When I get my simcard would I hook up the 4s to iTunes and set up as new and then sync my iTunes library to the 4s. I also have my contacts and notes uploaded to iCloud. Again would i just use my apple id to get those back.

Will the findmyiphone software just work and track my new iPhone 4s now.

Any further instruction would be appreciated.

After searching about this situation the advice given is a little conflicted hence the new thread.

2. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Yes. Just log into iCloud with your Apple ID in the settings and sync your content (contacts, notes) back.

Download find my iPhone from the app store and log in with your Apple ID and your phone should be able to utilize Find my iPhone with your Apple ID.

Its simply all about logging into your Apple ID account on your new 4S via iCloud in settings.

3. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Thank you cod for your advice.

So 'setting up as new' in iTunes will not install any jailbroken files from my iPhone 4 backups onto the 4s.
    Am i best advised to go into preferences in iTunes and delete the backups and iPhone 4 device ?

I will log into iCloud via the iPhone 4s when i receive my micro sim.

The other apps and content I have should just download onto the 4s when i sync it , hopefully without any issues.

Thank you again.

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

apple should add a "REMOTE DETONATION" command on iCloud so that it explodes on the thief hand.

Not only will they be unable to keep on stealing phones but others will think twice about doing so again.

5. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Lol ;)

Their would be too many ex-boyfriends/girlfriends doing it to each other !

As long as i can retrieve my info via iCloud and iTunes then ill be happy !

6. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

If Apple allowed that to happen, they would be sued to oblivion by the the finders of "lost" iPhones.

7. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

question on 'findmyiphone' app.

Good morning,

As per my previous post my iPhone 4 was stolen yesterday.

Now that it has been locked by the network and by me using the findmyiphone i will now need to use that service for my new iPhone 4s.

My query is will I just go into the settings of the new iPhone 4s and add my apple i.d into the MobileMe field to add itt to the findmyiphone.

Also is their an option to delete the stolen iPhone 4 ?

8. Azzin macrumors 68040

Go into Settings, turn iCloud on and sign in. I think then you will see the options for turning mail/contacts/data etc on and you're good to go.

If you go to either me.com or iCloud.com and sign in, you can then delete any unwanted devices from your account.

9. Azzin, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012

Azzin macrumors 68040

I know that (the thread title gave me a clue), but I thought you had a 4S now.

10. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Yes i now have a 4s but I'm waiting for my micro sim to be posted to me.

Im hoping i just go into the settings on the 4s and log into the MobileMe section and add my apple id.

I will want findmyiphone to then follow my new 4s, and not the 4, so i wanted to know how to delete the old stolen 4 from it or even if i had to.

At the moment if i log into my mac to try and locate the iPhone 4, its showing as offline with the pending wipe and lock commands waiting to apply, when the thief logs onto the internet.

11. ckc macrumors regular

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

Which is what I suggested in post #8! :D

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I would keep the old phone in there. Never know, you might still find the sucker.

14. bandofbrothers thread starter macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

** Resolved **

Hi,

Just a final post to resolve my thread.

I removed my old iphone 4 backups via preferences/devices in iTunes, as i didn't want any chance of jailbroken files going onto my new 4.

Hooked up the iPhone 4s and set up as new, then sync with iTunes which put my apps/music on..

iCloud downloaded my contacts and notes etc.

Old iPhone 4 removed from findmyiphone by logging in online and pressing the (x) at the side of the icon, and was greeted by a message saying if the phone comes online ever again i will be notified.

A big shout out to all that read and replied to my concerns.

Take care.

15. Azzin macrumors 68040