iPhone 4 stolen. Will thief get access to my photo album when connected to a PC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by qq107, Aug 4, 2013.

1. qq107 macrumors newbie

I got robbed walking down the street today... and they got my Iphone. They seem to have turned the phone off right after. I do have a pretty long advanced passcode on the phone. So I don't think they will be able to get into it if they turn it back on again. I called the police but there hasn't been much progress.

The thing is, in my photo album, I have a few screenshots (kept them as proof of payment and stuff) that might have had my address and card numbers on them. I know it's dumb to do that, but living in a relatively safe area, i never expected for something like this to happen.
    My worry is, will they have access to the photos in my photo album? Cuz if i remember correctly, when I connect my phone to a my computer, I can access my photo album directly from My Computer, kinda like a portable storage. When i connect it to my macbook, IPhoto pops up and shows me my photo album.

Thanks!

2. larry918 macrumors regular

Wow, I really am quite sorry for you to have this happen. If I remember correctly, plugging my iPod Touch 5 (on iOS 6) into a Mac won't automatically open iPhoto and show all the photos that have been taken unless the device is unlocked. I could be wrong.

3. peridot macrumors member

I just tried this out on my main computer, and even with a complex passcode I was able to import all my photos without unlocking it.

So sorry this happened to you!!

4. RoofMonkey911 macrumors member

Could be because you have attached / synced that device to your computer before? Try it with a phone that's never been attached to that computer.

----------

Didn't have find my phone installed? Do a remote wipe of the device ASAP

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

That's because you've synced to that computer before. It won't work if it were the first time you synced to that computer if you didn't know the passcode.

6. peridot macrumors member

I wondered that too, but have no way to test it. Good thinking with remote wipe though!!

7. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

8. xjacobx macrumors newbie

Thieves have no interest in your photos. More often than not, they plug the phone into a computer once they get home and immediately perform a factory reset. Then they unlock it and sell it, most of the times overseas. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

9. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

My phone has a pass code.

I just tried this out on two different computers:
    The first is a windows 8 laptop. When I plugged it in, it pops up in the devices list and I can access the photos as if the phone were a flash drive.

The second computer is running Linux. When I plug it in, the same thing happens. I get a dialog that pops up, and I can access the photos.

10. qq107 thread starter macrumors newbie

R u sure about this? It does make sense and all. I have asked a few other people and they told me the same thing. If it's a new computer, you need to enter your passcode to access the photos

----------

Have you connected/synced your phone with those two machines before though?... :eek:..a bit worried again

----------

sigh... let's hope you're right...

----------

No, i don't!!! I even have the app on my phone but never got the chance to activate it...:( ... it was activated before but I recently did a restore so everything had to be reinstalled...

----------

Sadly...no... Never thought i'd need to use it one day. But i do hope you're right on the point about him getting access to the photos because he has synced it to his computer before.

11. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Just in case I would call the bank and change your credit card.

12. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

They will not have access to your photos. I have tried this many times at different work stations. Sometimes I charge my phone via USB on friends computers and in order to import photos it requires me to enter my passcode.

13. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

I just tried it with my wife's phone on my son's laptop running windows. Popped right up and I could access photos without unlocking the phone. iTunes isn't even installed on the laptop. The phone only syncs with one computer, and that's at home.

14. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Nope, first time. I wouldn't be too worried about it if I were you; like someone else said, there's a good chance that they never even looked at them, and even if they did, aren't tryna commit credit card fraud.

Personally, I would immediately cancel all credit/debit cards that had their numbers in the phone. It's easy as pie to get a new card, not worth the risk of having them use your money. Plus, it'll allow you to stop worrying about this :)

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

So you have pics of your actual CARDS or just the receipts? If just the receipts, they should only have the last four digits of the card number printed, which nobody can do anything with. If you have pics of the cards, yes, do what others recommended and have them canceled. You should be able to have new cards sent to you within a week.

16. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Yes they will be able to. I use Capture on my mac to import my photos and I'm never prompted to enter my passcode.

17. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Bit strange that some say that the photos can definitely be accessed and some day definitely not.:confused:

18. cynics macrumors G3

Like mentioned have your cards changed ASAP or whatever info they might get. Remote wipe if possible.

Next time if you have to have proof of purchase with a photo download a lockable photo storage app to have another layer of security and inaccessibility from a computer. I use photovault, only nude pics of ex and current gf's in it though.

19. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I agree with those about cancelling your cards...

On another note I'd make sure to lock the windows and doors in case the guy gets greedy and try's to break in since your address was in there too! as well as make sure insurance is up to date!

Might be overkill though and just me!

20. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

You are my hero. :p

21. aenflex macrumors newbie

Odd. When locked and connected to my work pc, which does not have itunes and has never been synced, I cannot access my photos.
    When locked and connected to my home pc, which has been synced and does have itunes, I still cannot access my photos?

Maybe I'm nuts?

22. NadaJasmine macrumors newbie

Can the iPhone's thief get access to transfer my pictures?

My Iphone was stolen 5 days ago. In that day, after missing for an hour, I turned on Find My Iphone on my laptop and set Erase Device. But until now it still appears Offline and the Erase Device is still pending (waiting for Iphone to connected to the internet).
    I remember I turned on Find My Iphone on device's Icloud settings, but not on Locations.

The problem is, I put a sensitive pictures of me in that iPhone Camera Roll right before it was stollen.
    I'm okay with the lost iPhone, I just want the device to erase every data in it.

I put a Lock Screen, but the passcode is really easy (The thief might find it). I hadn't set the erase all the data after 10 failed passcode attempts.

Would you help me to explain whether the Iphone's thief has a chance to transfer my pictures in Camera Roll to any other devices?

-thank you so much-

23. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I'm no expert on this subject, but my guess is that it really depends on the expertise of thief and how motivated they are to get at your data. Since the data on the phone are unencrypted, there will always be ways to get at it.

24. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I tried to send you a PM but you disabled it on here. The dirtbag essentially would need to disable all internet access to prevent Find My iPhone from kicking in. If you own a GSM phone (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) they would need to turn off Wi-Fi and pull the SIM card. If they want to transfer pictures they only need the lock screen pass code, but in order to disable Find My iPhone they need your Apple ID password.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesnt the data become encrypted when a passcode is used?