iPhone 4 strange WIFI occurrences- w/photos & details

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigres, Jun 26, 2010.

1. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Hi all-

Need a little expertise if anyone has a test/solution to my iPhone 4 WIFI woes at home.

Details:

I have an AP Extreme base station set to WPA2 (working for 1+ years) dual band.

I have (2) AP express stations to extend my network throughout my home (1 is primarily used as Airtunes only to drive my stereo speakers throughout the home.) The second is located in my sons room at another section of the home to extend the network out in the back yard/deck of the home. Distance between the APE and APX is about 75 feet.

All stations are set to WPA2 protocol

I have a guest network as well.

Problem is the following: iPhone 1st gen/ and iPhone 3GS have no problem keeping a connection whatsoever on the network within a 50-70 foot range of my house, nor the deck which is literally right outside the door in the back, not to mention about 20 foot from the Airport express in my sons room.

On iPhone 4, I loose connection (finds network but will not connect) then shows an invalid ip for my network.-->See photo 1 below.

My network address/ip for the phone is reconnected when entering the home and getting close to the base station, it joins it again automatically. See photo 2

Photo 3 represents turning WIFI off on the device and back on, showing the strength of the connection outside, yet it will not connect with the proper IP, only the invalid one. Whatever I try, resetting network settings, forgetting network, trying to rejoin- it accepts connection, yet remains on 3G until the home is entered again and is close the the station.

Anyone who has some tips for me to try, I would be thankful for your efforts.

Any details further that are needed just ask in case I left out some important information.

Lastly: the phone is in a case, and I am not having the antenna issues: in my area anyway.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!!!:)

Attached Files:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Is it connecting to the g or n side of your network??

3. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

That's a very good question. I have the network set up for both due to other iPhones in the home that use G, but I don't know.

How can I test that? Thanks

4. shawntkeating macrumors member

Go into your router settings and you can see the active connections.

It will display the type of connection.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You should have your n side named different to your g side as this can cause issues. If the g and n network in your sons room share names then there is your issue.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

+1.

7. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

It shows all the connections; but I do not know how to associate the "type" of connection; can you elaborate?

I will have to go read the manual on the networking. I am not certain but doesn't the guest get set to G by default? If so, I can make the N network N only. Will that work?

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If you log into your ap it's fairly easy to set up.