iPhone 4: switch phone # and add a new line, both possible at home?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by invisible777, Jun 14, 2010.

1. invisible777 macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm looking at pre-ordering 2 iPhone 4's for home delivery for me and my fiance. I'm a current AT&T customer with an iPhone 3G, and my fiance is not. I'm curious if you can do the following with the at-home itunes activation...

can you switch phone numbers? I want ditch my old phone number and get a brand new one on my existing AT&T account (I moved... different area codes etc.)

can I add a new line/new customer at home and upgrade my plan to the exact family plan I want?

and finally, my fiance has a corporate 20% discount. If she is just an "added line" will the entire account be eligible for 20% off? Or just her portion of the family plan?

Thanks!

-invisible777

2. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

You can activate your phone at home (not sure about switching the number) and activate hers as well. You'll have to goto an AT&T store or call a rep to put them on the same Family plan. As far as the discount, all your girlfriend needs to do is click the link at her work, input the primary phone number and last 4 digits of the the primary's SS# and it will apply the discount to the family plan.

For the discount on the data plan for the secondary phones, I'm not sure if you have to enter those numbers as well or not.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No, if you are a current ATT customer you have to call ATT to get a new phone#.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

You should also expect to pay $36 for a phone number change for an existing AT&T customer.

Why do you want to change your current AT&T phone number?

Dave

5. invisible777 thread starter macrumors member

I moved to a different state and want to have a local area code.

Thanks for the replies!

6. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Can I add a line from home? My bro wants one but has no credit and doesn't wanna pay the $500 deposit. I tried adding a line at apple.com, but it told me to go to an Apple store, but I think this is because you can't buy an iPhone right now from them. Please advise. Thank you kindly.