Iphone 4 syncing to old iphone 3

irobbiemcc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Byron Bay
Hey all, a mate has an iphone 4 as a work phone and needs to get all data incl messages onto an old iphone 3 as he is leaving. Is this possible, any help appreciated

Robbie

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's only possible if the iPhone 3 and the iPhone 4 are running the same firmware or the iPhone 3 is running a newer firmware version than the 4. You can restore an iOS device backup to newer or the same iOS versions, not down.

irobbiemcc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Byron Bay
due to the fact that the iphone is a 3, not even a 3gs the software can only update to 4.2 so it wont let me do it because the iphone 4 is running ios5. When i try to run the old iphone from the backup, it says it needs to be updated to the latest OS to be able to sync, but due to old phone i cant. Do you know any way around this?? Thanks for your help though, really appreciate it

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There is no way around it. iOS 4.2.1 doesn't have the proper instructions to change iOS 5 stuff into iOS 4.2.1 stuff. You'll have to jailbreak both devices and manually transfer your stuff. Even then, some things may not work properly.