Iphone 4 tethered jailbreak HELP!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daweirdguy, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Daweirdguy macrumors newbie

Well, my friends iphone 4 had been jailbroken, the battery died, and now hes iphone boots but dies after 5 minutes. PLEASE HELP!

2. petrucci666 macrumors 6502a

Do you know what 'tethered jailbreak' means?

It means that everytime the battery runs out or you reboot it - you have to boot it with redsn0w for example.

Do this: Charge the phone with a charger (not computer) for 15 minutes so it has enough battery to function on its own. Then hook it up to the computer and open redsn0w. Turn the phone off completely but leave it connected to the computer. In redsn0w, go to "extras" and then "just boot". Follow the steps and your phone will work like normal again.

The challenge with a tethered jailbreak is to never let the battery drain out and never reboot the phone when you're away from a computer.

I've had a tethered jailbreak for months now and I'm not on pins and needles all the time just by making sure that those 2 things never happen.

3. Daweirdguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, but my friend says he has been letting the iphone charge for about 3 hours, and still with that bitchy icon :(

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did he try booting tethered with redsnow?
    Just charging it wont change a thing. For a tethered JB you need to boot tethered. Or restore to stock firmware cause I dont think he understands what a tethered JB is.

5. Daweirdguy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Well, my iphone 4 had been jailbroken, the battery died, and now my iphone boots but dies after 5 minutes. PLEASE HELP!

Fixed that for you.

7. Sunsean macrumors 6502

I wanted to hear people's opinions on living with a tethered jailbreak. I'm about to finally take the leap and jb my iphone 4 ios 5.1...but am hesitant to being restricted by being tethered...so as long as I keep the phone charged and don't reboot, I'd be ok? I wouldn't be worried except for when I go out of town for a few days without a computer...no laptop, just my imac at home...

Has it been a problem for any of you? (figured I'd ask here instead of creating new thread)

8. kilj0y macrumors member

Even when I was on an untethered jailbreak I never let my phone die so I finally tried a tethered jailbreak and I see no difference in the way I use my phone

9. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Yeah, I never let my phone die either...it's for those 'emergency' unplanned scenarios I'm worried...like what if I'm out of town for a few days without a computer and the phone crashes/reboots itself? Or yes, what if I have a long stretch without charging and it dies...

Another question: can you only boot a tethered jb iphone with your own computer, i.e. the one used to jb it? Or could I install redsnow on anyone else's computer and boot it up if I were in that kind of scenario?

10. Sunsean, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

Sunsean macrumors 6502

Oh duh - I just realized there is something called 'semi-tether' or something like that, where you can boot your tethered jb phone partially - so it will at least work for basic functions...actually it seems as though everything native on the phone works except for safari. So no jb apps but at least you have a working phone in a pinch. That's good enough for me!

Had another realization - I am flying next week. Won't have a computer with me. Oh well, that means no jb for me at the moment. Since I would have to turn the phone off on the flight, I'd be screwed.

Question - my main purpose for wanting to jb is for tetherme to edit the mms settings...could I do this and then remove the jailbreak, but still keep the mms settings? I'm sure I would get caught up in all the other jb stuff, but for now I just want to edit mms apn settings...

11. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I have been using a tethered JB on my iPhone 4 which has iOS 5.

I ensure that if i am away from the computer, i do not let the battery die.
    I have bought an external battery pack for those 11th hour scenarios when i am away from computer and need to charge the phone. It has really helped me.

As far as air travel is considered, i keep the phone in airplane mode to avoid shutting it off.

12. kilj0y, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

kilj0y macrumors member

As long as you have a redsnow app available doesnt matter whose computer it is it will boot.

And as far as my usage I have never had a freeze or anything where I would need to reboot out in the wild.

13. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

i had a tether for a while on 4.3.5
    if you charge it over night i never had a problem. The only issue was when it would freeze so i would Home + Power for 10sec, then have to wait to get home to fix it.

if you always have a laptop with you then its not a problem at all.
    if not, then i would recommend to charge it to full overnight and it should last the entire day, you may have to cut usage a little.

14. doo567 macrumors newbie

I have rebooted my tethered jailbroken iPhone a couple times without attaching to RedSnOw and it just boots up normal. The jailbreak doesn't work, but it proves it isn't an emergency if you have to reboot without being tethered. I proceeded to then reboot tethered and then all my cydia apps worked again!

15. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Hmm, aren't you supposed to turn OFF all your devices when you fly? I guess maybe I am naive/gullible, but when I'm in a huge flying hunk of metal 20,000 feet in the air, and they tell me to turn something off, I turn it off.

Everyone else - thanks for sharing your experiences! Really I'm not too worried about being tethered...I mean, my phone pretty much is always on so I doubt it would be much of a problem. I just don't like the "what if" possibilities...

But being able to boot into at least 'normal' (non jb) mode is a huge safety net for sure. So in one of those worst case scenarios I could at least have a working phone.

----------

Thanks that also makes it much easier to cope with. I am flying to visit my dad for a few days next week. So if I were to JB and something happened that resulted in having to reboot while I'm out of town - I could just install redsnow on my dad's computer and boot it up that way?

For that matter - I could use anyone's computer, i.e. a friend, family member, or even an internet cafe/store if they let me...