iPhone 4 - the last 'big' iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DieAllianz, Jul 11, 2012.

1. DieAllianz macrumors member

Hi,
    is anyone else getting the feeling with all the upcoming rumors (iPad7", 13" retina MBPro), that the new iPhone(5) event will not only be about the new iPhone but shared with other announcements because the lack of news?

May the iPhone 4 be the last big iPhone with an revolutionary Design, external Antenna, retina display, camera...?

2. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I still think the iPhone 6th generation will have it's own event, but in the end I think it's just going to be a stretched 4/4S.

3. RedCroissant Suspended

I doubt it because even though the iPhone 4S was able to be used on both CDMA and GSM networks, the fact that Apple is still making separate devices for this is problematic. My guess is that they are going to move toward a single device that can be used on both networks instead of having to buy a CDMA iPhone or GSM iPhone. At least that's what I'm hoping for. And if that happens, I will be buying one unlocked from Apple and then finding the best plan.

Plus, I think an HD front-facing camera is also on its way.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Except that they don't make separate phones. All 4S iPhones are the same (minus black or white). It's the carriers who force the choosing of going either the CDMA or GSM route.

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

You think a company that has said they are working to usher in the post-PC era is going to stop trying to innovate their flagship product?

To answer your original question....no. I don't think the 4 is going to be the last "big" release. I think Apple won't dramatically alter things as often as some of the Android OEMs will, but they won't sit on their hands either.

6. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

The iPhone 4 was by far the biggest upgrade Apple ever gave to the iPhone. If the rumours turn out to be correct about the next-gen iPhone (a bigger display, LTE, NFC and a stretched iPhone 4 design), than some might call the next-gen iPhone also a big upgrade.

For me, however, it wouldn't. NFC isn't widespread so useless at most places for at least the coming twelve months. LTE isn't available in my area at all. The stretched iPhone 4 design is not really... innovative. Bigger display? Fair enough.

I really hope Apple surprises us with the next-gen iPhone and is throwing us off with all these 'leaks'.

7. RedCroissant, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

Then why is it that you have to either purchase a Verizon Phone or At&T version? It seems to me that they could design a phone that would be both CDMA and GSM compatible and allow the individual carriers to lock it if it is being subsidized.

The AT&T version comes with a sim card slot while the Verizon version does not.

That's why I think if the design of the new phone is elongated, it will be that way not only to increase the screen size to appease customers, but also to save the functional purpose of a unified device that will truly be a world phone. That would be the best selling point.

8. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

There are no differences. The onliest difference is that when you buy the 'GSM iPhone 4S' there's a prepaid sim card inside the phone.

Basically, this is how the iPhone 4S works:
    - If there's a sim card inside the phone, it will look for GSM networks
    - If there's no sim card inside the phone, it will look for CDMA networks.

The issue here is that Sprint and Verizon put up restrictions.

9. RedCroissant Suspended

So if that's the case, then an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S should be able to work on the Verizon network right?

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

As I said, that's because of the carriers, not Apple.

The phones are all identical, but the carriers refuse to activate phones from any other network - regardless if the phone would work on theirs or not and will only activate phones designated for their network BEFORE purchase.

The 4S? Yes, it does.

----------

Yes, it should, but Verizon would never authorize it to be used on their network.... just as AT&T won't allow a Verizon or Sprint iPhone to be used on theirs and so on.

11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It will as long as Verizon activates the device on their network.

And that's why I prefer GSM, because as long as the phone is unlocked you can put in any SIM and go with any carrier you want.

12. RedCroissant Suspended

Sorry for the delayed response to this, but I wanted to get more information before I confirmed that my original post was correct. I contacted AppleCare and discovered that there are in fact different versions of the iPhone 4S.

For it to be truly considered and used as a world phone that can be used on either CDMA or GSM networks, you would have to either purchase the Verizon version or the unlocked full-retail version through Apple.

If you purchased the AT&T version, then you are in fact limited to GSM networks. I just spoke with a representative this morning and made sure that the information I received was correct. The only ability to use the AT&T version as a world phone is if you get At&T t give you an "international unlock authorization" so that it can be used on worldwide GSM networks.

So for anyone making purchases of the iPhone 4S or 5 in the future, be sure to choose the right version to ensure full capability.

13. Beenblacklisted macrumors 6502

Beenblacklisted

apple doesnt dictate what the phones gonna look like... its the carriers....they are the ones who approve/ deny a phone and its features who do u think benefits more apple or carriers? 650....one timefor apple ...the carriers....200 purchase...and nearly a thousand dollars for service a year. Tmobile and other carriers 40-60 a month... 500 a year

14. ajones46 macrumors 6502

You think that the carriers approve or deny a design by Apple? Sorry, but that's foolish.

15. cynics macrumors G3

I think you are confusing difference in the phone with carrier restrictions.

Example, I have an unlocked VERIZON 4S. It's only unlocked for international use. Verizon doesn't want me to take a phone they paid for to AT&T. The same applies to AT&T. Make sense? A carrier would lose a lot of money if I paid then 200 dollars for a phone they paid 600 for to the competitions network. International unlock doesn't matter because that's not Verizon's competition plus I'll eventually come back, plus I'm still paying then when I'm gone.

These are all restrictions set by the carriers.

Now if I paid apple full price for an unlocked 4S I can take it to any network.

Three identical iPhones with different restrictions.

No one is really wrong here because "technically" they are different as they have different restrictions. But as per topic they are all the same to Apple.

Hope this helps a little. Basically what they told you on the phone though.

16. RedCroissant, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

I am not confusing a difference in the phone with carrier restrictions. I asked this question and an AppleCare representative told me that there are "two different versions of the iPhone 4S." Essentially, the retail unlocked version and the Verizon version are the same(except Verizon would subsidize it and it would be locked until contract termination). Then the AT&T version which is not CDMA compatible.

Call AppleCare yourself and see. This is not me being a jerk or pedantic, I'm just passing on the information that I was aware of and then had confirmed when I contacted Apple.

I even asked this:

Me: "So my initial mistake was purchasing the At&T version that is not compatible with CDMA networks when if I had purchased either the retail unlocked version or Verizon version I would have had a true world phone?"

Jeff(AppleCare Rep): "Yes, that is correct."

My guess is that this was an attempt to maintain a pseudo-exclusivity agreement that Apple made with At&T.

17. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

Apple were one of the first to tell the carriers to go jump when it came to carrier-enforced phone design, and for that, I applaud them. Having the same phone over all carriers has done wonders for the iPhone's acceptance- everyone knows how an iPhone works, thanks, at least in part, to the fact that no matter what carrier you choose (AT&T, Verizon, Telstra, Optus, Vodafone etc), your phone will be exactly the same.

Samsung has now finally gained enough in the way of popularity and mindshare to start exerting some power over carriers as well. There's no carrier specific models of the Galaxy S3, unlike the S2.

18. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Dude, the iPhone 4 is a really small phone compared to most Android phones. I don't think it qualifies as 'big' any anybody's book.

19. ctc799 macrumors member

The iPhone 4 just had such an excitement to its announcement and sent tremors throughout the entire industry. I think that'll be hard to match.

It'll certainly be interesting to see what happens to the growing amount of users trying other phones!

20. rovex macrumors 65816

How about the time when holographic facetime chat comes into the smartphone fray?

[​IMG]

21. DieAllianz thread starter macrumors member

The iPhone5 shared the announcement with 3 new iPods and a boring new iTunes version...

And now after 2 weeks of knowing the iPhone5 i think the iPhone4 really was the greatest Apple-product redesign (look and tech) ever! :eek:

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Back then, people thought the 4 would be the 4G. People didn't get that WiMax was done and LTE wasn't ready. The facetime camera was huge and it's a solid device. The iPhone 5 appears solid as well, but it's not nearly as revolutionary as the design of the iPhone 4. That being said, I don't think I can hold my iPhone 5 incorrectly.