iPhone 4 Theft: Identify the face of the new owner.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gloomyash, Feb 6, 2011.

1. gloomyash macrumors newbie

I've registered to this forum in search of my stolen iPhone 4.

I'm a traveller from Australia and my iPhone 4 was stolen out of my pocket while I was being distracted by the suspected theives while I was in Paris 4 days ago. A young woman approached me asking asking me to sign a petition. She looked very suspicious and the organisation she was claiming to work for did not sound legitimate and so I refused straight away. A second woman grabbed my arm pushing me to sign and as I pushed the 2 women away from me, I let go of the iPhone that I was holding on to in my pocket.

When I got away, I realised immediately that my iPhone was missing from my pocket and when I looked back, the 2 women who approached me fled with a third.

I have already filed a police report with the French police but I guess there is nothing that can be done, UNTIL....

3 days later, I logged into Facebook, and found that someone had uploaded a photo via my STOLEN iPhone on my Facebook page.

If by the slightest chance anyone can identify this person, it would be SO helpful. I know the chances are not likely but all I know is that this is a FRENCHman and it is the only thing close to finding my iPhone 4.

I did not actually own the MobileMe app or find my iPhone app because practically, I was oblivious to it since now.

If anyone could help, it would be great!

Attached Files:

2. LoganT macrumors 68020

Well no surprise here. The guy looks like a complete douche. I hope the people on here can help you out. Maybe you should post it to Digg.

3. viperGTS macrumors 65816

did you have your email registered on it for
    facetime? maybe someone could facetime the phone. i have an ipod touch 4th gen so i might be able to help...

4. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Forward the picture on to the authorities. Submit story to Digg and Reddit.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Did/does the facebook app geotag the photo?

It might give you a location of where the picture was taken. Never know might help tracking down the phone/person.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Makes you want to smash those pink glasses right into his face.

good luck ... I hope this punk gets whats coming to him

7. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

use tineye.com and reverse search that image to see if it is posted anywhere else that might give u information about the identity of the person in the picture.

8. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Would be sweet if you could buy some ad space on a billboard in Paris with that shmuck's face and the French word for "thief" on it.

Best of luck, OP.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Sorry OP, that really sucks.

10. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Try your luck in mac4ever.com or macgeneration.com ....those are french forums. Though frankly the chances are probably really small....

I speak good french so I translated the jist of the story for you if you wanna post in a french forum....

Bonjour à tous...je viens de m'abonner au forum. Je suis australien...il y a 4 jours, lorsque j'étais à Paris en vacances une jeune femme s'est approchée de moi en me demandant de signer une pétition. Pendant que je lui faisais attention, quelqu'un a pris de ma poche mon iphone 4. C'était evidement une équipe qui travaillait ensemble...

Il était trop tard quand je me suis rendu compte du vol. J'ai déjà informé la police des faits. 3 jours plus tard je me suis connecté sur facebook et j'ai découvert que le voleur avait téléchargé une photo depuis MON iphone!

Je sais que la possibilité d'identifier cet homme est très faible... mais si par hasard quelqu'un ici le reconnaît, je vous implore de me me faire signe! Ce serait une aide énorme.

11. Tottenham4Life macrumors member

12. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

13. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@gloomyash, with iOS4 remote wipe is free. Have you tried it?
    Also, even if you don't have remote wipe - if you used your iPhone with a company, most likely they have remote wipe enabled. You could execute this through Outlook Web Access at your company by logging in with your username and looking under Settings.

FYI.