iPhone 4 to 4.0.1 safe if I want to jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by calvy, Jul 19, 2010.

1. calvy macrumors 65816

As I say in the title, is it safe to upgrade to the latest update of iOS on my iPhone 4 if I hope to jailbreak it someday soon?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Stay on 4.0 for now.
    Thats what the Dev team is advising.

3. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the quick reply. I browsed musclenerd's twitter feed and the dev team blog but saw no mention. I assumed this was the case though. I have no reason to want the update anyway until a proximity sensor fix is out.

4. giffut macrumors 6502

Yes, ...

... the latest Redsn0w unlocks iOS4.0.1 without any problems. I did it and it´s trouble free.

You update/restore your iPhone 3G with iOS4.0.1, then you just run Redsn0w as usual and point to the iOS4.0.0 IPSW file for the Jailbreak itself (it won´t allow the iOS4.0.1 IPSW file).

You might have some shortterm incompatibilities with Cydia apps, as some tend to be very strict on firmware versions, like Backgrounder e.g., which won´t install on iOS4.0.1 because it checks for iOS4.0.0 only.

To keep iOS4 native background wallpapers and multitasking, I strongly recommend installing iMemory VM enhancer and deleting language packs and unused launchd daemons - the 3G speed won´t scream, nevertheless shout again loud and clear, so to speak ;-)

5. calvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for your reply, but I'm using an iPhone 4 here, patiently waiting for the day I can jailbreak it, and don't want to screw up.

6. giffut macrumors 6502

Sorry, ...

... I thought going from iOS4.0.0 to 4.0.1.

Well, we all wait´n´bait, "The Jailbreak is near, I see it coming ..."