iPhone 4 Unlock Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randomguyishere, Dec 8, 2011.

1. randomguyishere macrumors regular

I'm about to buy an iPhone 4 running 4.3.5.
    Does it matter what baseband it is (can't all 4.3.5 basebands be unlocked, assuming its a GSM (AT&T) iPhone 4?)
    Currently unsure of the baseband, but when I find out, I'll let you guys know.

Next question... assuming I can get it unlocked at 4.3.5...

Is it possible for me to upgrade it to iOS 5?
    Isn't there a way to "preserve a baseband" or something?

Thank you in advanced!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I could be wrong, I don't keep up with the Unlocking tools, but I though that no iPhone 4 past iOS 4.1 could be unlocked (except with a Gevey Sim), though the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS could (past iOS 4.1).

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Close, iphone 4 with 4.0.1 or 4.0 firmware stock baseband can be unlocked with ultrasnow.
    Gevey can unlock all basebands on the i4 up to 4.3.5
    After its update to 5.0 or higher the unlockable gevey bb is gone.
    So OP if its on stock 4.3.5 you can stay and use a gevey to unlock. or if you want to go up to 5.0.1 you will have to do it using a custom ipsw that saves your baseband. Also on 5.0.1 you will be stuck with a tethered JB.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

OP, If you are not familiar with Iphone, even if the phone you plan to buy has 4.3.5, make sure you check the modem firmware to make sure it has 04.10 on it, then you will be fine to use with Gevey sim. Stay away from phones with modem firmware 04.11.

5. randomguyishere thread starter macrumors regular

So assuming the iPhone 4 is on iOS 4.3.5 and has a baseband of 04.10, I can unlock it using Gevey Sim?
    Anyone want to explain to me or post a link as to how to go about this?
    Also, I read somewhere that baseband 01.59.00 will work. What's your take on it?

NOW.. assuming I have successfully unlocked it under iOS 4.3.5, if I preserve my baseband using the custom IPSW, I can update to iOS 5.0?
    **What's the most recent I can upgrade to? 5.0.1?
    **Can I continue updating to the most recent iOS version as long as I preserve my baseband beforehand?

Final question...
    I do all of the preserving baseband things through what program? I have a Mac running OS X Lion.
    Redsn0w 0.9.9b5?