iPhone 4 unlock time - iTunes necessary?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Giuly, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Well, iOS 5 has been touted as being able to be used completely without a computer.

I've just sent the request to unlock my iPhone 4, and it says to connect it to iTunes and do a factory reset in order to unlock it.

Does this still hold true on iOS 6, or is there a method to do it computerless?

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

If the unlock has been processed by your carrier (and submitted to Apple), inserting a SIM from a different carrier should prompt the device to re-activate itself and the unlock should complete then.

If that doesn't work, the unlock might not have been processed yet.

3. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

You can use the new redsn0w to de-activate your sim , plug in to computer itunes, and you will get the unlock message.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's not necessary, it's just a way of verifying that it was done.
    Inserting a SIM from another service will do the trick without the iTunes method.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

Why can't you just use an imei lookup? There are a number of unlock sites with this free lookup.

6. Giuly thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

It is two years old and I unlocked it via the carrier. :rolleyes:

However, popping in a SIM from another carrier while being connected to WiFi is not enough, and the only way to unlock it is actually doing the factory reset via iTunes.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This only seems to be the case with AT&T unlocks.

I haven't seen a reason for that.

8. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Pretty sure it's the case for all UK network unlocks as well, you do need to connect to iTunes to complete the unlock on Orange, T-Mobile and O2.

It doesn't need a factory restore though, just an iTunes sync.

9. Giuly thread starter macrumors 68040

Giuly

It's probably more in the "general case for GSM networks" direction :)

10. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

I would agree, and a quick check shows its definitely the case with all UK operators, and therefore would be the same for any GSM operator, the unlock command is sent via iTunes.

From the instructions for an unlock

11. Daveoc64, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Not anymore.

Since iOS 5 it has been possible to do it over Wi-Fi.

I've done it multiple times myself on iPhones that were locked to UK networks.

When you put the SIM in, iTunes will recognise that the SIM is not (currently) valid for the device and will enter activation mode.

In iOS 4 and earlier that meant a prompt to connect to iTunes. In iOS 5 or later you get (part of) the same activation wizard as when you bought the phone.

I think that AT&T requiring a restore shows that their procedure is not normal.
    The networks are generally slow to update their literature.

I realise you're quoting a blog, one which I think is pretty good - but it doesn't get everything correct.