iPhone 4 video camera zoomed in

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by likemyorbs, Sep 15, 2010.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Anyone notice when you switch from the regular camera to video camera it seems that the video camera is more zoomed in? i find that really annoying, anyone know why its like that?

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The aspect ratios of a photo and video are different. It's zoomed in when you're going to record because it attempts to fit the screen with the image. If you double tap the screen while you're in the recording mode, it will zoom out and show you the full video with black bars on the top and bottom.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You're both right to an extent. You can double tap to zoom out the display so it shows 16:9 instead of 4:3 (I think) but the camera mode still has a wider field of view.

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Yeah, the still-photo camera has a wider and longer field of view than when you're recording HD videos. But I wasn't sure if he was asking why the view on the screen when you're recording a video is cropped whereas the final recorded video isn't, and that's just because the aspect ratio is different.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

There's no other way to do it. (Unless you don't want 16:9 video, I mean.)

Still camera image:
    [​IMG]

Still frame from video taken from the same spot:
    [​IMG]

Video frame on top of photo:
    [​IMG]

(I slid it over a little to match up the lines on the shelf.)

That's it. That's as big as you can make the video frame. Any bigger and it's no longer widescreen video.

6. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's a good explanation! thanks. still wish there was a way to not have it like that though

7. hanzzar macrumors newbie

Vid Zoom problem

hey guys this hasent really helped if you can help here is my problem.
    i recently got a fish-eye lens and the video still zooms in WAY to much here is my problem.
    this image is from a picture with my fisheye
    http://pichut.eu/?v=img150.jpg
    as you can see the ring around and u see the black edges
    now in video mode its way to zoomed in but yet while double click you can see the fisheye ring effect as you see in the picture here
    http://pichut.eu/x/img150.png
    :( this sucks just payed 70$ for this fisheye and its basically useless any suggestions?

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

9. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

Download Video Camera+ from the App Store and you will be able to record in 480p, which will NOT have a zoomed in effect on your video. Your fisheye view will look exactly how it does when you take photos.