Iphone 4 video capturing on macbook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nuuq, Jan 5, 2012.

1. nuuq macrumors newbie

Is it possible to turn iphone 4 into camera, that will make me able to capture video, or at least preview it on macbook on any kind of software...
    ithe thing I need is to live record some video material on my theatre play, and I want to use iphone, stream it live on macbook, and play it on projector during the play...
    is it possible to do it via ad-hoc, because, as it seems, that is best connection for this kind of stuff...
    I am using Lion OS on macbook, and iOS 5 on iphone.
    TY all...

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'd eliminate the Macbook from the equation.

Record the video on the phone and try to output over HDMI to the projector.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC953ZM/A

Problems you need to overcome:

1) Do you have enough storage space on the iPhone to record the entire thing?

2) Does your projector take DVI? Not terribly likely, really, so can you adapt HDMI to DVI somehow? Or to whatever it needs?

3) Does the video output on the phone show the camera in real-time? I have no idea...someone else may be able to answer this, but if the answer is no you may be out of luck. The fact that you have a 4 may be bad news...the 4S outputs whatever is on the iPhone's screen over HDMI, so I'm betting it will work pretty well. But the 4 only outputs what the current app tells it to output. Does the camera app send out video? I don't know.

There is an analog video cable, but I doubt this changes anything. If the camera app doesn't send out video live it won't matter what connection you're using.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A

My suspicion is that you'll need to borrow a 4S, but I can't even promise that will work.

4) You should probably do some kind of external mic near the stage with a wire run to the iPhone. The mic is good for things up close but I'd worry it won't pick up talking on the stage very well at all.