Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 4 video resolution

jamoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
London
Hey,

I've done a quick forum search, but didn't find anything that relevant. If I missed something, feel free to tell me...I'm sure someone will!

Ok, iPhone 4 video is brilliant. Great quality. But...I want to record some videos in a low quality, to send over email - currently a 2.5 min video is clocking up a good 200mb, which is massively too big for email.

Can I change the recording resolution? If not, why not?! Is there a way of easily and quickly compressing the video on the computer? From what I've experienced, iPhoto is NOT optimised for video at all, and iMovie is not ideal for someone who just wants to send a small video over email.

Hope someone can enlighten me!

Cheers,

J

highres

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2005
Near the Singularity
Hey,

I've done a quick forum search, but didn't find anything that relevant. If I missed something, feel free to tell me...I'm sure someone will!

Ok, iPhone 4 video is brilliant. Great quality. But...I want to record some videos in a low quality, to send over email - currently a 2.5 min video is clocking up a good 200mb, which is massively too big for email.

Can I change the recording resolution? If not, why not?! Is there a way of easily and quickly compressing the video on the computer? From what I've experienced, iPhoto is NOT optimised for video at all, and iMovie is ideal for someone who just wants to send a small video over email.

Hope someone can enlighten me!

Cheers,

J

When you email your video file from your camera roll it is automatically compressed before sending.

If using iMovie when you export it allows you to choose Med, Large or HD. Either way you are covered.

jamoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
London
When you email your video file from your camera roll it is automatically compressed before sending.

If using iMovie when you export it allows you to choose Med, Large or HD. Either way you are covered.

Ok, but when I select 'Email Video' when in the camera roll, I get a message saying "video too long to send...select a smaller clip to email.." Still not that useful, as you can imagine!

Cheers,

J

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Any decent 2 1/2 minute video is still going to be large.

Email was never meant to transfer large files.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Upload video to pixelpipe then email the link to watch the video!!

Job done!! :)

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
Yeah, a lot of email accounts limit attachments to ~20mB if not less

Exactly. iOS probably has some low limit set anticipating that many email servers will not accept large files.

I remember when 1 to 3 MB was really pushing it.... wasn't that long ago.

jamoin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
London
Yeah, a lot of email accounts limit attachments to ~20mB if not less

Any decent 2 1/2 minute video is still going to be large.

Email was never meant to transfer large files.

But my point here is that I don't necessarily want/need a decent quality video - I just want to send a small, low-res video over email.

Anyway, from what I can see, this ability doesn't exist. Steve knows best!

Cheers,

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.