iPhone 4 Video Zoom

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by W2232, Jun 25, 2010.

1. W2232 macrumors newbie

Just a quick question to any other iPhone users: when switching the camera from photo to video mode, is the video supposed to be zoomed in a little more than the photo? In other words, the photo mode will take wider shots than the video mode. Is this intended or how can I fix this? It doesn't look like the video mode has a digital zoom to mess around with.

2. 5683592 Suspended

I'm wondering the same thing. I don't remember having it be like this on the 3GS.

3. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

The iPhone shoots 16:9 video and the screen is 16:10. Double tap in the center while in video mode and it will zoom out to show the full picture.

4. Midoo macrumors newbie

when you double tap on the video mode it zooms out but the view angle still smaller than still shooting mode

5. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, it's probably only using the center of the image sensor, which would explain the FOV change.

6. studio¹³¹ macrumors 6502

studio¹³¹

I find this annoying -- definitely didn't do this on the 3GS...

7. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

But it's better than the 3gs because you're getting true 720p video from it.

8. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Yeah that's true. Even if it looks like it's zoomed in more, you're getting a higher resolution in the end. Just double tap the screen to see the full frame.

-Tuck

9. porkchopboy macrumors newbie

No you are wrong that does not work
    The video zooms fwd on its own it's very very annoying, tapping the screen doesn't stop it

----------

Yes it's the same on iPhone 4 and 4s very annoying you loose the foreground
    The 3G did not have this, apple must have programmed it to do this for some stupid reason.
    I take video of my baby son all the time - I have to hold the phone screen face out and use the front camera for video.
    For some reason only the main lense zooms in on video - the face lense does not zoom on video