iPhone 4 - Volume Buttons, Silence Switch, and Headphone Jack All Dead?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmk1974, Dec 19, 2011.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68020

dmk1974

My boss is having a problem with his iPhone 4 that I have never seen before. Basically, both volume buttons, the silence switch just above them, and even the headphone jack are all not working one bit. We even did a fresh iOS 5.0.1 install today and no change.

He took it to the "Genius" Bar today and they said they would not fix it or replace it. They said only that he could upgrade to the 4S which he didn't want to do at this time (but I can see happening anyway).

There's no drop or water damage evident on the phone. Just seems like those buttons, switch and jack all crapped out for some reason. Has anyone else had this happen to them before and, better yet, is there a remedy? Thanks!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

They won't replace it for free, but they will if he paid the $149 out-of-warranty fee.

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Yeah, they were encouraging him to upgrade to the 4S for $199, but he just walked out mad. What pissed him off is that while in warranty, he took in his original new iPhone 4 because it had some dead pixels and they gave him a refurb/replacement phone which is this phone. To him, it wasn't as "good" of a phone as the original phone, but from what I understand, replacement phones are in fact new, but just not in the nice new packaging.

4. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

In the beginning of production they are new, if they run out of re manufactured phones they are new, other than that they are remanufactured/refurbished.

He could try another Apple store. Sometimes if you are really cool with the employee, they will swap it out for free.

5. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68020

dmk1974

Well, he broke down and bought the 4S. Still looking for any possible way to fix the 4 though. If not, is there a market for people to buy iPhone 4 units that have issues?

6. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

yes. You would be surprised at what a broken iPhone will go for on eBay. Take lots of clear pictures and detail the problems.

Someone will buy it for parts or to repair.

7. M Quick, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

There is definitely a market for iPhones with issues. I'm usually one that wants to buy those phones and fix them and make a profit off them, though this is only profitable for those with knowledge on how to repair and replace.

However, i would suspect that the ribbon for the said items that isn't working has either popped off or broke off inside the phone, all those things you mentioned are interconnected with one ribbon cable in there FYI.

EDIT: I can also see why they wouldn't replace it as that cable is not likely to get damaged without the phone being dropped at one time with or without a case and knowing about the fact on how those buttons are linked to each other. But aslong as it looks good it shouldn't be a problem even though.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I'm curious: Does the camera shutter work when using the up-volume button? Bizarre that all sound ceased.

I had other silly questions but I assume the genius looked at everything. :)

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If the ribbon cable was only on by a hair from the factory a drop could pop it off. This could be fixed relatively cheaply.