Iphone 4 Volume turns on and off by itself

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mjgreenley, Jul 29, 2012.

1. mjgreenley macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4, iOS version 5.1.1, and I have been having a few problems recently...the most consistent being that the volume turns on and off by itself despite the position of the rocker switch. The phone is sitting on my desk and it lights up every couple minutes showing me that the volume/vibrate has been changed.

Another problem, which might be unrelated, is that the home button does not work every time that I push it. Sometimes I have to press it 3-4 times for it to respond. Other times it works fine.

Any suggestions on what might be causing these issues. I'm more concerned about the volume, as I don't want it to change and have it ring during inappropriate times! I've already tried a hard reset on the phone.

Thanks!

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I had an issue with my 4S volume randomly going down causing me not to hear my alarm. When i took it to apple they were aware of the issue and gave me a new phone b.c it cannot be fixed with software updates. Take your phone to apple and they will give you a new one. If you google the problem you will see that is what a lot of people have done.

3. Danv macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4 used to do that since 5.1.1..

I came back last week with a new iPhone 4 due to another issue but it's still doing it... should I bring it back again?

Ain't that something with the software? How could the hardware turn down the volume when the volume is on max and Change with Buttons is turned off? :confused:

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You may have something on your phone causing the issue. When you got the new phone, did you restore from a backup? If so, you may just have to do a fresh restore and not from a backup. For me, that still didn't solve the problem, but since you are now on your second phone then it is likely an issue with something from your backup

5. Danv macrumors newbie

You are right... I restored from backup, maybe it's something from the backup (and/or also jb).

I'll try later to start from fresh again... I don't feel like restoring and setting up my whole iPhone again.. :p

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

before I returned mine, they actually suggested I try to restore to default and not from back up. My volume would still go down. Got the new phone, restored from backup and everything has worked perfect since :)....I bet that is your issue and your first phone would have probably been ok too

7. Danv, Aug 2, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

Danv macrumors newbie

Your post make no sense :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, I think I got it, ... hmm no still confused lol, on your first iPhone, you tried to restore from default and it was still going down... and now you have a new phone, and even with restore from backup, it's working so it was hardware. Then you said my first iPhone was ok? I'm confused lolll

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

made sense in my head haha.

Before they replaced my iphone they suggested what i told you, restore the phone but not from a backup. I did that and it did not fix the problem, so they gave me a new phone. On the new phone I restored from backup and everthing worked, so mine was a hardware issue. If I restored from back up on the new phone and the issue continued, it would have definitely been something in my back up creating the problem.

is that any better? :)

9. Danv macrumors newbie

Oh ya, thanks haha! So it might be hardware.

I'll see if I could swap it again after restoring from default.