iPhone 4 vs. 4S vs. Galaxy SII

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LazzerdKam, Nov 21, 2011.

1. LazzerdKam macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am looking desperately for a new phone since my old iPhone 3G is horribly outdated now and tends to die on me once in a while. I've always wanted the iPhone 4, but didn't buy it since I wanted to wait for the iPhone 4S. Now I am not so sure though... the iPhone 4S is faster and has a better camera, but is it worth paying the extra money for? In my country the phones are extremely expensive, so would have to buy the phone straight from apple store without contract, which is not that cheap either.

My friend has a 4 month old iPhone 4 which I can get for half the price of the 4S (without contract), which has got me thinking. Anyone that has upgraded from 4 to 4S and would say that its worth it to pay up the full price without contract?

Also, I can buy a new Samsung Galaxy SII for the same price as the used iPhone 4. I really do like the Samsung as well with the big screen and that it is at the same level as 4S specs wise - but I have always used apple + I have a Macbook Pro.

Any advice or suggestions to this little scenario?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you're on an iPhone 4, I would only suggest upgrading to the 4S only if you can afford it. Since you said you were on a 3G, and can get a 4 at a cheaper price, I would go that route. It is still a very capable phone and will still be a vast improvement over your current experience.

I can't really speak for the GSII personally, but I know people that love it. However, if I got an Android phone I'd probably get something with vanilla Android (i.e. Galaxy Nexus).

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

With tech, go with the latest and greatest that you can afford. You can never keep up with tech. I would suggest sticking to Apple not because I want you to, but because maybe you have invested a lot of money in apps and the ecosystem that a switch to another platform might not be the best economic choice.

4. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

iP4 sounds like the best bet in your situation. The 4S is a split-second faster opening apps in most scenarios, for the extra money that little "delay" on the iP4 doesn't bother me at all. Its still super quick. The camera is great, you'll love the led flash and HD video. The 1080P on the 4S? To me that only means the same video would take up more space. 720P looks great :cool:

5. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I would go with the iPhone 4, that way you can upgrade under contract if the next new hot iDevice becomes a must have for you next year.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

If the difference were between a new 4 and a new 4S (assuming a savings of 15% to go from the 16GB 4S to the 8GB 4, which is based on US pricing of $649/$549) - I would get the 4S. Double the memory, faster processor, and better camera are definitely worth 15% differential.

Comparing a used iPhone 4, which will be 16GB instead of 8GB like a new iPhone 4 - and a 50% price difference, and 8 months left on the warranty - there is no question, unless you just have the money to burn get the used 4 and thank your friend for his generosity.

7. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I agree, iP4 is your best option. Use it for a year, and sell when the next iPhone comes out, as I bet it won't lose that much in value compared to what you pay now.

Also, Siri is not that useful when you are outside US, as most of the location service is not supported.

As for Android, if you are a Mac user using Apple calendar and contact book, it is a hassle to switch to google. It's so much easier to stick with iOS.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Do you like gaming? go for the 4s if you like the improved speed and graphics.

9. naths macrumors 6502

Try the GS2....great phone...great screen,expandable up to 80gb with the 16gb version or 96gb!!, with the 32gb,iv got a 16gb with a 64gb card..,ICS in Jan 2012,or if you can wait untill feb the SGS3 will be out....just try it for a change from the iPhone,i did and then you will realise how small the iPhone is...Also iv got a macbook air and a iMac no problem with syncing,OSX will recognise the phone as a hard drive and just drag and drop....simple...

10. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

I have them both and after using each one I rarely go back to my GII Skyrocket. The iPhone is just simple and a pleasure to do everything with.

11. LazzerdKam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah think you guys are most probably right when it comes to the 4 vs the 4S. Since I live in Malta, which does not have the apple store, I would have to buy it through the Danish store and pick it up there for xmas, and the price point there is 850 USD :eek: for the 4S vs. a little more than half the price I can buy the iPhone 4 at.

So yeah no 4S for me at this point. Guess it comes down to the used iPhone 4 vs the new Samsung Galaxy S2 then. The reasoning behind the Galaxy comes down to the cheap price of it, bigger screen, customisation and specs at the same standards of the iPhone 4S.

I have tried the Galaxy, but haven't tried the iPhone 4 at all. Need to get my hands on one to decide I think...

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

GS2 Skyrocket is a PENNY starting today on Amazon.com... but it has to be a new line... I JUST got my iPhone 4S on a new line... but I'm debating getting the Skyrocket now... 1 cent for the best Android phone beats out 4S at 200 bucks...

Don't get me wrong I am loving my 4S but... 1 penny? really luring me back.

13. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

When I first started using the skyrocket last week I loved it, but as I kept using the 4S and the skyrocket after a week it's really no debate, even for 1 penny a great deal but damn everything is just easier on an iPhone. Plus I like iCloud better for me than google. Trying to use both is just a royal pain.

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm still using both... I prefer my gmail currently and using it as an exchange account on the iOS mail app... found out the other day that I can't attach files from the email app... so I downloaded the gmail app to do that... a bit of a silly feature to leave out.

But I do like photostream... being able to see it on my Atv2 and in my iPhoto as soon as I get home is pretty bad ass... also the integration of Airplay is fantastic too... but nothing my iPad can't do either.

I think the main concern for me is the savings of 200 dollars in my case. But at this point I'd probably have to jump through hoops to get the GS2 Skyrocket since it has to be on a new line...

15. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

And that's what I hate from a generic smartphone manufacturer.

They release a new phone within months, and that means your device getting older soon.

Sure we need innovations, we can't always be the greatest and the latest, and even iPhone changes overtime, but at least Apple do it on a slower pace, it makes customers can catch a break for a while, knowing that they still hold the latest technology much longer. That's what I get from an iPhone.

With samsung (and any other handset company) there will always Android W,X,Y,Z within months, or even all out altogether, what make them so different? Little to none!

I'd pick one phone to rule them all rather than so so phone that rule no one.

And you can see on eBay or whatever, how much a Samsung Galaxy S1 now worth? Compare it to iPhone 4 now, they both from the same generation, meant to compete each other, and guess who can still hold its own value much better?

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Good point... I'll just sell my 4S (if I actually get sick of it) when LTE actually gets to LA and still have plenty of $$ to buy a used SG2 Skyrocket for dirt cheap...

My poor EVO 4G can barely pull in 100 bucks on on ebay... :(

17. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I had several iphones and my last a iphone 4. I still have it and testing the Skyrocket right now and love it! Fast, great screen, battery life isn't bad, but not great. Such a light phone. I am not afraid to drop this phone either.

I think this is a keeper and I won't be returning to the iphone anytime soon.

18. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I went to Malta earlier this year to visit family and I really feel your pain. I live in the UK and going over to Malta, I was surprised there were no apple stores at all and any apple products there were so inflated price wise. I would honestly just buy some cheap plane tickets, £30 return to the UK with ryanair and buy a used IP4 in the UK which will cost you at the moment around €350 ish...

19. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I think the Skyrocket is the best deal right now at 1 penny from Amazon. 4.5" screen, LTE, and upgradeable to ICS early next year.

I think ICS will fix a lot of the software issues that Android has vs. IOS and the hardware is amazing. I'm seeing 40-50 Mbps and 75ms latency on AT&T LTE in Las Vegas and Houston.

I think if the iPhone 5 were to come out in June like it used to with 4" and LTE, I would wait. But it probably will be October and I can't imagine waiting a full year for LTE when it will be available in most big cities by then.

----------

If you can a get a brand new phone for 1 penny, you'll still be better off at resale time than if you bought an iphone 4. You'll actually make money in two years!

20. LazzerdKam thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah Malta is horrible when it comes to electronics. There is one Apple seller in Malta, but the prices are insane.

I finally managed to make up my mind though. Ended up buying the iPhone 4 16GB from a friend of mine, who kindly enough sold it to me for €300 with a friend discount :D

And oh dear, I never realised how slow my iPhone 3G actually was since it was the only smartphone I had ever had... Tried opening up safari at the same time on both, and it took approx. 25-30 seconds more to open a website on the 3G. So seems the upgrade was about time!

21. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Do you like keeping up with the tech race? Do you plan on buying a new phone every year? If the answer is no then any iOS device would last you much longer than any Android device for several reasons. Some of which include the fact that the hardware will still be supported well by the company for years to come, and the fact that software updates will be much more streamlined. You mentioned you are still using a 3GS. You must also notice that it has suited your needs up to this point. Could you say the same if you bought an Android phone from the same time period?

Edit: Oops late to the thread, but whatever.

22. omegle macrumors newbie

The GSII is great... when brand new. The only problem is that Samsung phones, especially touchscreen ones, don't last. The digitizer is the first to go. (this is coming from a person who owns a Samsung Behold 2)

The phones also feel cheap being made of cheap plastic.

I'd suggest the iPhone, ANY iPhone. Why? The iPhone comes with a 1 year warranty, and you can get it fixed/replaced at an Apple Store. In most cases, you're in and out of an Apple store within a half hour.

The Samsung phones may come with a warranty, but you have to send it back to Samsung, wait a long time, etc. My Behold 2 was under warranty.... supposedly, but they refused to fix it saying that I broke it. I mean come on, the Digitizer powering the touchscreen was smoked. It wasn't broken with physical force, it BLEW OUT. How does a typical consumer manage to do that without opening up the phone and purposefully shorting pins or something?

My girlfriend has a GSII. It freezes up and crashes.

23. iJOHNBR0 macrumors newbie

24. Big Pope Daddy macrumors member

I was facing this exact situation...and I was bouncing between the 3GS for free, both the iphone 4 and 4s as well. I had a Samsung Captivate, and was leaning towards getting the Samsung Galaxy S II (not the skyrocket...no LTE where I live, so seemed kind of pointless).

My wife currently has an iphone, and I had a 3G previously before the captivate. While I enjoyed the Android platform, the very reason for wanting it (the customization, the changes that you could make to how it looked, etc) came at a large price....battery life.

Ultimately, I went 4s to get what I perceive as better battery life, a solid phone (works very well, less dropped calls so far) and something that will have resale value if and when I opt to sell/trade it.

The Galaxy S II will probably be available at a cheaper price if i ever opt to go that route...as you see by the increasing drops in price it has gotten, and it has only been released for a couple months tops.

25. hamlin macrumors regular

I had almost the exact situation.

I had a Galaxy S2 which I bought off EBay because it wasn't available in Canada yet. Awesome phone. I had a upgrade and decided to get the iphone 4 8gb for 49$. I could of got the 4s for 159$ but since my Wife has the 4s I saw no difference between the 4 and 4s so I saved some money and got the 4. I sold my galaxy s2 locally and made some money. The galaxy s2 is a better phone hardware-wise then the 4s IMO, but what makes the Iphone so good is IOS. Its better than android. It runs smoother, more apps, don't have to worry if your phone is compatible with certain apps in the market.

Hardware in a phone is good but the software behind it is more important.