Iphone 4 vs 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atomsforkubrick, Apr 6, 2012.

1. atomsforkubrick macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide whether to get an Iphone 4 8gb or an Iphone 4s 16gb. I already have an ipod 32 gb, so i definitely don't need to put any music on the phone. Would an 8gb be enough storage for apps and pictures?

also, is there any major difference in speed between the two models?

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Well the iPhone 4S has Siri, Dual Core processor (Web browsing is much snappier), reliable signal unlike the 4, HSPA+ (Or what AT&T likes to call 4G).

3. kre62 macrumors 68000

The 4S is lightyears faster. Light. Years.

Dont let any side by side or cursory playing with both models fool you. Everyone I know who has gotten the 4, and actually used it for a few weeks, now realizes just how much faster it is. When you get it loaded up with running apps, etc, it stays super smooth, super fast, and is just a better phone.

The upgraded cell circuitry and dual antennas alone are worth it. Finally, you can make phone calls. Makes ATT feel like Verizon in tern of stability.

4. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Unless you have a financial reason to get the 4 (significantly cheaper) get the 4s. I actually wound up getting the 4 instead of the 4s, but for me it was because I do use my phone for music, and I got a 32gb iphone 4 for less than a 16gb 4s would have cost me, and I was money conscious when deciding. Also, saving my big purchase/upgrade for the iphone 5.

FWIW, the 4 has been great for my needs. Hasn't been slow or laggy at all. I don't need/want Siri, and I have a dslr for 'serious' photos so the 5mp camera on the 4 is fine for my impromptu cell phone pics.

That said, your options of 8gb iphone 4 vs 16gb iphone 4s is a no-brainer: the 16gb 4s is definitely preferable. Only reason to go the other way is price, if it's a factor.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I would stay away from 8gb 4. Apps will eat up that space quick. Do you plan on getting the new iPhone coming out this year hopefully?

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

No it isn't
    So actual tests don't mean anything if they are nearly the same?:cool:

7. krz7 macrumors newbie

If you'll use camera a lot or play a lot of graphic-intense games you'll notice the difference and I recommend 4S, otherwise (if slightly worse camera and a slightly slower games loading doesnt bother you) go for 4. It's still great phone. There's no huge difference in speeds.

I would say if you are in the US, 4S is worth additional $100. If you're somewhere else, and 4s is a lot more expensive than 4, it's not worth it. iPhone 4 is still great smartphone.

8. atomsforkubrick thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I think I'm going to go with the 4s 16gb. My current phone really sucks and unfortunately, because of that, I can't really wait for the 5. Plus, to be honest, the 4s seems to already have more than I could ever need in a phone. I guess I'll save up and get the 4s in a few weeks.

I appreciate all the advice. Thank you!

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You won't regret getting the 4S. It's an awesome phone

10. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Good call, enjoy it! Really, IMO the deciding factor is storage space. If your options were 32gb iphone 4 vs 16gb 4s, I would say that the iphone 4, depending on your needs, is a great choice. But when you're comparing 8gb iphone 4 to 16gb 4s, the choice is clear.

11. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

Get The 4s. i have both phones and the 4s is about 2 times faster than the 4. the biggest difference between the two is gaming performance the 4s runs all games at 60FPS. while the 4 has games that run bellow 20FPS ( infinity Blade 2 is a good example of this.) its best the buy the latest phone especially if your singing a Brand new 2 year contract.

12. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Get the 4S 16GB.
    Faster
    Siri
    And if under AT&T, you can sell it unlocked in 2 years.

13. JCCL macrumors 6502a

For the guy saying that it is not a big speed difference, you should look at this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EcveSVgVOY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For most normal tasks, the difference is not very big but for games is night and day. In addition to being faster, the 4s shows way more effects

14. kre62 macrumors 68000

Yes it is. Much faster. By a mile.

And yes actual tests dont mean anything if you play with each for 5 seconds. Use a 4S for 2 weeks, then go back to your 4. And cry.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The jailbroken (I can't live with it any other way) version certainly is. Fiance runs the 4. I have recommended she just flash stock 5.1, but she is as stubborn as I am about the jailbreak. In our specific experience light years is an understatement.

16. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Siri is no reason to get a new phone.

I bought a used 4 rather than burn my 2 year contract on a mid-cycle phone. And the 4 has been and is a fantastic phone. Now, when the 5 rolls around I'll be ready to either get it (if Apple updates the design with a 4" screen) or get something else like the HTC One S.

17. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Fair enough - but as I'm not a big mobile gamer, not an issue. The only games I play are words with friends, angry birds, word puzzle games - you know, standard and simple mobile games that don't demand the latest and greatest specs to run smoothly. For someone who's super into graphics-intense games on the iphone, it's a very legit argument for the 4s over the 4. Me personally, I do my 'serious' gaming on my ps3 and it's a non-issue.

The 'way more effects' thing - what kind of effects are you talking about? Like transition effects between windows/apps...?

18. cpuguy18 macrumors regular

cpuguy18

yup HUGE difference.

19. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

In my opinion, the 4S is worth selling one of your kidneys for. It's *that* good.

20. saberahul macrumors 68040

I'd get the 4s and sell the iPod Touch. You really won't need it once you have the iPhone. My wife asked for it when I got the iPhone so now she uses it... tomorrow if she decides to get the iPhone - I will sell the iPod.

21. bill-p macrumors 68000

I'll have to disagree with this.

After both my 4 and 4S had been on for a long while, and just with mails, texts and phone calls; just those three apps running, absolutely no other apps installed on either device, the 4S was light years ahead.

There were times when the phone started ringing and I tried to swipe but the 4 wouldn't respond to the swipe until a few seconds later. In contrast, I swiped and the call immediately connected the next instance on 4S.

Similarly, after about 50 texts had been sent, it took almost 5 seconds to load texts on the 4. 4S showed me those texts instantly.

The difference was even more pronounced the next few days when I started installing third party apps and try to do other things.

But in the 4's defense, it lasts longer on a battery charge doing the same things. In fact, it lasts a lot longer. The difference is as much as an additional 32 hours of standby on the 4 for me.

22. ryanlawrence171 macrumors member

Not all customers understand about hardware and software upgrades. Still, Apple should consider some changes in order to make it look different and upgraded. Hope, iPhone 5 can cover all this and much more.

23. William.Mantle macrumors 6502

I'd get the 4 and save the money... I upgraded to the 4S and it's not really that special.

Siri is a joke

24. aneftp macrumors 601

I think many get confuse when comparing 4S vs 4 as to the time frame of release cycles.

As of April 7th 2012. I would NOT RECOMMEND getting the 4S if u currently own a 4 Someone who already has a 4 to waste their upgrade (subsidized) to get the 4S. They are better off waiting for up to 4-6 month for new iPhone. The reasons are obvious. The iPhone 4S is mid cycle and almost 6 month old.

If this same question were ask in October 2011 when the 4S was release the answer would be different.

25. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I have the iPhone 4 already jailbroken with siri.

The better processor and camera were not enough to warrant me getting the 4s.

Ill be awaiting the iPhone ? {whatever Apple decide to call it}