iPhone 4 warranty SquareTrade Vs Appelcare Vs Credit Card Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ansabakhan, Jun 18, 2010.

?

iPhone 4 extended warranty/insurace ill buy

1. 2 year apple care for $69

20 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. 2 year SquareTrade for $99 (w/damage coverage)

64 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. i am buying my iPhone 4 with a credit card that gives me extra coverage

26 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. wont buy any thing extra, i am happy with what comes with the phone

23 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

2. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

how is SquareTrade, any one has any experience here? i was wondering if its worth it to spend an extra $30 and get SquareTrade instead of applecare

3. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I voted Applecare because I already purchased it without knowing about Squaretrade? Can I return the Applecare? Is Squaretrade better? what's the difference?:confused:

4. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

you already bought apple care? how ??? can u buy it while pre-ordering?

i still am deciding my self BUT i think square trade covers damage as well .. like broken screen and water spill and stuff its $30 more then applecare

5. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Applecare was available for purchase thru AT&T as an option, so I bought it and it will ship with the iPhone.

6. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

i think with Square trade you can only replace your phone once only for damage , the price sounds wont it BUT i am not sure how they are to deal with ... if members here suggest square trade is worth it you might be able to cancel just the applecare part by calling apple before activating your phone

7. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Another possibility is the Best Buy insurance. The rep told me that it was about $14.99 a month I believe with zero deductible. It covers accidental damage, but even just one year with this would come out to $180 even if nothing goes wrong with the phone.

8. tocheeba macrumors member

I'd say squaretrade, but that's just me.

SquareTrade is $99 for a warranty - sometimes less if you can find a coupon. There is a $50 deductible if you need to replace it - so basically $150 if you need to use the warranty. But it covers accidental damage, spills, etc.

So if your phone doesn't break, before your 2 year contract is up, just throw it on the ground. They will replace broken parts with new ones, but if you crack the back & front, then it'll basically be a new phone to sell :)

Applecare is pointless in my opinion. Why pay that much $$ just to extend the regular warranty? it doesn't even cover accidental damage (dropping). If you pay with American Express, you'll be covered for another year anyways - so AppleCare is stupid for the iPhone.

9. maggie2101 macrumors member

I got SquareTrade for my iPad and will probably get it my my new phone...if I ever get it. I want white!

10. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

$14.99 per month ?!!! ?? that's over $350 for 24 months! who would pay that?

11. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

how muchdid you pay square trade for your ipad and what is the coverage like ?

12. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Don't forget about your renter's/home owner's insurance. Check with them, they may have much cheaper, full coverage insurance available. I checked with mine (USAA) and they do not have a low liability ($700) but I was able to purchase a $3000 policy add on for electronics to cover my Macbook Pro and iPhone. If anything at all happens to the iPhone they will cover the full price.

$9 for an entire year, but I would have to pay $250 deductible. $250 might sound crazy, but to me it's worth not having to buy extra coverage (it covers the MacBook Pro too).

There's a thread that covers this pretty well already, Lorenwade had a few good posts:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=936286&highlight=insurance&page=2

13. gouda272 macrumors regular

I had quite a long conversation with a squaretrade rep.
    It basically comes down to this.

$99 for 2 years of coverage.

If you need to use the coverage you setup a claim, they email you an overnight shipping label. The next day they fix your phone and overnight it back to you. If it is not a spill or accidental damage issue there is no deductable. If you submerged it in water or dropped it and cracked the screen then the $50.00 deductable would apply.

if you broke in half and they cannot fix then the send you 600.00(or whatever the replacment cost is) and you go out and pay retail for a new phone. At that point the warranty is over and you would need to buy a new warranty to cover your replacement phone. Still a great deal IMO.

14. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

Squaretrade has plenty of positve reviews online and I will certainly be getting it for my iPhone 4. Going case-less so it'll give me some piece of mind.

$99 up front, $50 deductible only if it's accidental damage (spills, drops) and one claim per year.

Mechanical/Eletrical problems = no deductible.

For you home owners, check to see if you can add the iPhone 4 to your insurance plan. Much cheaper but not everyone does it.

15. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Not just home owners, renter's insurance too!

16. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

so bascially you are paying $99 + $50 = for a replacement if the phone is broken.

how about if they cant fix the phone ? would they still pay you $600 or what ever the retail is and let you hold your warranty with them without making you pay another $99 like they would with a damaged phone?

17. g000 macrumors newbie

what mfg warranty does the iphone 4 come with from apple if you bought it new? 3 months? 1 year? and what does that cover and not cover?

thanks

18. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

from apple.com :
    Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support

19. maggie2101 macrumors member

I got 2 years coverage for $83.99 (with coupon). They will pay me $829 it it breaks.

20. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

what is the detectable ?

21. ludawg23 macrumors 6502

Care to share that coupon code? ;)

22. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

So I guess it's either Squaretrade or my Renters insurance, can I return my Applecare to an AT&T store or do I have to ship it back to them?

23. burnside macrumors 6502

I thought they will only cover up to $600 of the cost of an iphone.

24. ansabakhan thread starter macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

he is talking about his IPAD coverage

25. rmwhite macrumors member

I added a "home computer endorsement" to my renter's insurance, which covers $5k of my computer equipment (laptops, desktops and anything with a touchscreen) for $20/yr. The deductible is $50 if lost, stolen or broken.