iPhone 4 with 0.10kbps 3G speed

hoogoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
hi, this will be my first post..on this issue.

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS4 before deciding to upgrade it to iOS5. After upgrading it, I lost 3G connectivity. To be more precise, I still have 3G but the speed is horrible. I tested with other iPhone device and I'm the only one having the problem. Any ideas are welcome.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Sounds like what I deal with half of everyday from Verizon.

Typically data will work or it won't. Does reception seem any worse?

hoogoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I have jail broken 5.0.1 from 4.1 (02.10.01 BB). My reception is "one bar" but fixable through installing UltraSn0w.

I have tried HARD RESET, RESET NETWORK SETTING, RESTORE (with NO_BB from Redsn0w) 5 times. Out of 5 restores, I tried 4 with back up and once with NEW PHONE.

As for as I noticed, the 3G speed stay at 0.10kbps right after I restore with NO_BB custom firmware.

ps. I am using AT&T and travel aboard...so I need to preserve the baseband.

----------

Did you try reseting network settings?
Or maybe call your carrier to make sure everything is setup correct on their end.
I brought this phone to Genius Bar and they confirmed my hardware is in perfect condition (no loose screws). But I have no warranty so that's all they can do for me. I have called AT&T to check and everything is still the same (and I still pay them for the data). They said it's my phone that is the problem

Are you throttled? That sounds like throttling speeds.
What is throttled...googling...:confused::confused:

Sounds like what I deal with half of everyday from Verizon.

Typically data will work or it won't. Does reception seem any worse?
The weirdest thing is my 3G works perfectly fine couple of days after iOS5 update. The problem start after I install FACEBREAK to use facetime over 3G and that's when the problem starts. The funny thing is, even with complete NEWPHONE restore and no jailbreak the problem still exist. So, I assumed the FACEBREAK is just a coincident.

Thanks for all your replies :D
Keep it coming... I know many other users are experiencing the same issues. Register and post to help solve the problem :)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Any other 3G device in your house on AT&T or friends in your area with iPhones you can compare too?

Maybe a temporary network issue.

hoogoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Weird.
Maybe a hardware issue?
I used facebreak on my i4 and now 4S with no probs.
Great 3G speeds with AT&T. Who's your carrier?
Genius Bar said nothing wrong with the hardware. I also thought it is a hardware issue at first, but she never drop the phone..not once.

Any other 3G device in your house on AT&T or friends in your area with iPhones you can compare too?

Maybe a temporary network issue.
I have 5 phones with AT&T 3G (including this one). x3 iPhone4 and x2 iPhone 4s. After the test using speedtest.net from app store, the results are
iPhone4s = 3mbps~5mbps speed.
iPhon4 (not this one) = almost 2mbps ~4mbps.
This one = 0.10~0.18mbps (0.20 if lucky).
These tests were made at the exact time and place (all 5 phones next to each other).

What's your data usage like? What data plan are you on?
Almost not moving. It is as if the phone is using 3G but 3G isn't being use.
Current data plan is $30/month for unlimited AT&T data plan (the unlimited plan AT&T discontinued).

Thank you for getting back at me. :) Really appreciate it.

If anyone has any kind of diagnosis or a way to locate hidden log... that might help.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Genius Bar said nothing wrong with the hardware. I also thought it is a hardware issue at first, but she never drop the phone..not once.

I have 5 phones with AT&T 3G (including this one). x3 iPhone4 and x2 iPhone 4s. After the test using speedtest.net from app store, the results are
iPhone4s = 3mbps~5mbps speed.
iPhon4 (not this one) = almost 2mbps ~4mbps.
This one = 0.10~0.18mbps (0.20 if lucky).
These tests were made at the exact time and place (all 5 phones next to each other).

Almost not moving. It is as if the phone is using 3G but 3G isn't being use.
Current data plan is $30/month for unlimited AT&T data plan (the unlimited plan AT&T discontinued).

Thank you for getting back at me. :) Really appreciate it.

If anyone has any kind of diagnosis or a way to locate hidden log... that might help.
Sounds throttled to me. Put another iPhone sim into that phone and run the test. If you have normal speeds it means your other cell number is being throttled.

In order to get your speeds back to normal lay off the 3G usage for a billing cycle.

hoogoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Sounds throttled to me. Put another iPhone sim into that phone and run the test. If you have normal speeds it means your other cell number is being throttled.

In order to get your speeds back to normal lay off the 3G usage for a billing cycle.

Swapping sim....never try that... I'll get back after I tried it out.

Can someone explained what do you mean by throttled? The data plan is unlimited...how can it get throttled?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
Swapping sim....never try that... I'll get back after I tried it out.

Can someone explained what do you mean by throttled? The data plan is unlimited...how can it get throttled?
If you are in the top 95% data users a month, roughly 2+GB, you are considered a heavy user. AT&T will purposely slow down your speed in order to get you off the network. Only applies to unlimited users.

hoogoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
If you are in the top 95% data users a month, roughly 2+GB, you are considered a heavy user. AT&T will purposely slow down your speed in order to get you off the network. Only applies to unlimited users.
That's so lame...:mad::mad:

hoogoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

If AT&T really did throttled 3G connection...how can I fix it? Call them and tell them to unthrottle ? :mad::apple:

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can plead your case to customer service they may be willing to reset your data rate/usage.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
If AT&T really did throttled 3G connection...how can I fix it? Call them and tell them to unthrottle ? :mad::apple:
Unfortunately, the only way to become unthrottled would be to leave the 'Unlimited' data plan.

Other members here have posted some success in moving to the '5GB & Tethering' tiered data plan and having various other options (texting rates, etc) reduced so the plan ends up being the same price... albeit with a 5GB data limit.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Exactly what I was thinking too.
It might not be the phone but your sim/phone number that gets slow speeds from AT&T.
Give it a shot.
But if you call AT&T and ask them why your phone number/account gets very slow data speeds they will be able to see and tell you if you're getting throttled till the end of your billing cycle.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
It might not be the phone but your sim/phone number that gets slow speeds from AT&T.
Give it a shot.
But if you call AT&T and ask them why your phone number/account gets very slow data speeds they will be able to see and tell you if you're getting throttled till the end of your billing cycle.
It's tied to the sim, not the phone so switching phones won't help.

hoogoo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Have you received any text messages from AT&T saying
your in the top 5%?
Not at all. Guessing they may send via eMail to main account user. I might use this fact to pressure them to unthrottle the line (doubt it gonna works).

Give it a shot.
I just called AT&T today, but without account holder authorization, we cannot get much information. The representative also suspect throttled 3G speed.

It's tied to the sim, not the phone so switching phones won't help.
I just gonna test if it's hardware issue or line prohibition.

Exactly.
So its not really a phone problem but your sim/account has been flagged to be throttled till the end of the billing cycle.
I'll get back if it is indeed throttled or technically problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.