iPhone 4 with 0.10kbps 3G speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hoogoo, Jan 31, 2012.

1. hoogoo macrumors newbie

hi, this will be my first post..on this issue.

I have an iPhone 4 running iOS4 before deciding to upgrade it to iOS5. After upgrading it, I lost 3G connectivity. To be more precise, I still have 3G but the speed is horrible. I tested with other iPhone device and I'm the only one having the problem. Any ideas are welcome.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you try reseting network settings?
    Or maybe call your carrier to make sure everything is setup correct on their end.

3. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Are you throttled? That sounds like throttling speeds.

4. cynics macrumors G4

Sounds like what I deal with half of everyday from Verizon.

Typically data will work or it won't. Does reception seem any worse?

5. hoogoo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have jail broken 5.0.1 from 4.1 (02.10.01 BB). My reception is "one bar" but fixable through installing UltraSn0w.

I have tried HARD RESET, RESET NETWORK SETTING, RESTORE (with NO_BB from Redsn0w) 5 times. Out of 5 restores, I tried 4 with back up and once with NEW PHONE.

As for as I noticed, the 3G speed stay at 0.10kbps right after I restore with NO_BB custom firmware.

ps. I am using AT&T and travel aboard...so I need to preserve the baseband.

----------

I brought this phone to Genius Bar and they confirmed my hardware is in perfect condition (no loose screws). But I have no warranty so that's all they can do for me. I have called AT&T to check and everything is still the same (and I still pay them for the data). They said it's my phone that is the problem

What is throttled...googling...:confused::confused:

The weirdest thing is my 3G works perfectly fine couple of days after iOS5 update. The problem start after I install FACEBREAK to use facetime over 3G and that's when the problem starts. The funny thing is, even with complete NEWPHONE restore and no jailbreak the problem still exist. So, I assumed the FACEBREAK is just a coincident.

Thanks for all your replies :D
    Keep it coming... I know many other users are experiencing the same issues. Register and post to help solve the problem :)

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Weird.
    Maybe a hardware issue?
    I used facebreak on my i4 and now 4S with no probs.
    Great 3G speeds with AT&T. Who's your carrier?

7. cynics macrumors G4

Any other 3G device in your house on AT&T or friends in your area with iPhones you can compare too?

Maybe a temporary network issue.

8. specify macrumors regular

What's your data usage like? What data plan are you on?

9. hoogoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Genius Bar said nothing wrong with the hardware. I also thought it is a hardware issue at first, but she never drop the phone..not once.

I have 5 phones with AT&T 3G (including this one). x3 iPhone4 and x2 iPhone 4s. After the test using speedtest.net from app store, the results are
    iPhone4s = 3mbps~5mbps speed.
    iPhon4 (not this one) = almost 2mbps ~4mbps.
    This one = 0.10~0.18mbps (0.20 if lucky).
    These tests were made at the exact time and place (all 5 phones next to each other).

Almost not moving. It is as if the phone is using 3G but 3G isn't being use.
    Current data plan is $30/month for unlimited AT&T data plan (the unlimited plan AT&T discontinued).

Thank you for getting back at me. :) Really appreciate it.

If anyone has any kind of diagnosis or a way to locate hidden log... that might help.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Sounds throttled to me. Put another iPhone sim into that phone and run the test. If you have normal speeds it means your other cell number is being throttled.

In order to get your speeds back to normal lay off the 3G usage for a billing cycle.

11. hoogoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Swapping sim....never try that... I'll get back after I tried it out.

Can someone explained what do you mean by throttled? The data plan is unlimited...how can it get throttled?

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

If you are in the top 95% data users a month, roughly 2+GB, you are considered a heavy user. AT&T will purposely slow down your speed in order to get you off the network. Only applies to unlimited users.

13. hoogoo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's so lame...:mad::mad:

14. hoogoo thread starter macrumors newbie

If AT&T really did throttled 3G connection...how can I fix it? Call them and tell them to unthrottle ? :mad::apple:

15. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

You can plead your case to customer service they may be willing to reset your data rate/usage.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Unfortunately, the only way to become unthrottled would be to leave the 'Unlimited' data plan.

Other members here have posted some success in moving to the '5GB & Tethering' tiered data plan and having various other options (texting rates, etc) reduced so the plan ends up being the same price... albeit with a 5GB data limit.

17. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Like I said. Back off on the data for a billing cycle. Speeds will return to normal.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

19. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Have you received any text messages from AT&T saying
    your in the top 5%?

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly what I was thinking too.
    It might not be the phone but your sim/phone number that gets slow speeds from AT&T.
    Give it a shot.
    But if you call AT&T and ask them why your phone number/account gets very slow data speeds they will be able to see and tell you if you're getting throttled till the end of your billing cycle.

21. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It's tied to the sim, not the phone so switching phones won't help.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    So its not really a phone problem but your sim/account has been flagged to be throttled till the end of the billing cycle.

23. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I wonder if getting a new sim card would trick AT&T's rip off system.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Doubt it, its not the sim card but the account/phone number that gets throttled.
    A new sim shouldnt make a difference.

25. hoogoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Not at all. Guessing they may send via eMail to main account user. I might use this fact to pressure them to unthrottle the line (doubt it gonna works).

I just called AT&T today, but without account holder authorization, we cannot get much information. The representative also suspect throttled 3G speed.

I just gonna test if it's hardware issue or line prohibition.

I'll get back if it is indeed throttled or technically problem.