iPhone 4 wont work on my OS.. Need to pay to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevo8, Sep 24, 2010.

1. stevo8 macrumors 6502

So I gave my aunt my old core duo MBP as she only surfs the web with it and it is basically useless to me. She had a iPhone 3Gs and broke it, now upgraded to the iPhone 4. I went to sync her iTunes with it and it said it requires OS X 10.5.8 which is leopard and the computer is still on 10.4.11. Is the only way to sync her phone with all of her old data thats on her iTunes to pay for leopard or snow leopard, or whats the protocol here?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To upgrade from Mac OS X 10.4.x Tiger to either Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6, you need to get a Retail version of either Mac OS X 10.5 (eBay, 120 USD and more) or Mac OS X 10.6 (29 USD). Mac OS X 10.6 will work with any Intel Mac and will work as Upgrade DVD with Mac OS X 10.4.

And yes, you have to upgrade, Mac OS X 10.6 is the cheaper variant of both.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to upgrade to Leopard or Snow Leopard.

4. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

thats pretty lame.. Oh well. Ok second question is, is that the cd drive on the mbp is busted and so I cant get the $29 SL dvd into it. If I buy it online as a download will I have any issues upgrading since its tiger and not leopard? from what I understood SL is a upgrade to leopard for $29, not the complete OS......?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can't purchase Mac OS X as download via any online retailer. You can only obtain it illegally via download, but you still need to burn it to a DVD, as a DVD is needed to install Mac OS X. Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard works as Retail DVD, thus it does not need Mac OS X 10.5 on the Mac, it can even be installed onto an empty Mac.

Do you have access to an external USB DVD drive? Or another Mac with Firewire port?

6. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

nevermind, doesnt even look like they offer it as a download, only as a disc. :(

So basically she is screwed? Fix the drive and upgrade the OS, or she cant use the phone for the most part?

7. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I have a 2.8GHz imac and some externals.. both usb and FW. As far as a empty mac goes, do I then need to install a fresh version or tiger on the mbp?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Connect MBP and iMac via Firewire, start iMac in Target Disk Mode and insert the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD into the iMac's Optical Disc Drive (ODD) and use the iMac's ODD as source for the installation via booting the MBP holding down the OPTION/ALT key, which then should give you the option to boot from the DVD in the iMac's ODD.

As I wrote before:

In short: no prior version of Mac OS X needs to be on the target HDD.

9. stevo8 thread starter macrumors 6502

:D sorry, caught you in between posts I think

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110