iPhone 4 won't zoom into a photo as much as iPhone 3G did. How? Why?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iphones4evry1, Jul 25, 2010.

1. iphones4evry1 macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

With my iPhone 3G, when I was looking at my camera roll, I could zoom in really far into a photo (I could take pics of documents and then zoom in and read them later). With the iPhone 4, it won't let me zoom in anywhere near as far as my old iPhone 3G lets me zoom in. (I still have my iPhone 3G, and I compared them side by side a few minutes ago - the iPhone 3G lets me zoom in much further than the iPhone 4. When using Safari or Cooliris, I can still zoom in really far on the iPhone 4.)
    Why???????? :confused: (sad)

2. daver11 macrumors regular

When you zoom into max, it shows the photo pixel-for-pixel. Since the new phone has smaller pixels, the image appears smaller at max zoom.

3. iphones4evry1 thread starter macrumors 65816

iphones4evry1

Then explain this ... I took a picture of a 8.5"x11" letter sitting on my desk just now with both my new iPhone 4 and with my previous iPhone 3G. Both from the same distance. With the iPhone 3G, I can zoom in and read the text. With the iPhone 4, I cannot zoom in enough to read the text.

Translation: The iPhone 4 is WORTHLESS as a tool for this compared to the iPhone 3G. Yes, I take pictures of text all the time, and then read it later when I have time. The iPhone 4 has LOST this functionality compared to the iPhone 3G .... and unlike the antenna issue, this is actually a software issue.

(and btw, I have zoomed in REALLLLLLY FAR on internet (Safari) and Cooliris App photos, so I know the iPhone 4 is capable of it)

4. MAC iD macrumors newbie

iPhone Zooming ??

Before I update my iPhone 4 the other day I could zoom really deep into photos! Okay the quality got worse the more I zoomed in because of the pixcels but nevertheless - sometimes I could just make out what I was looking at! IE faces in the background etc

But since I update the software I can only double tap zoom now (not spread fingers on screen) allowing me to only zoom to about 1/4 of the image size (not sure what ratio that is - x4 maybe) Anyway it's annoyed me - must have been about x 8 before...by my ratio :)

Why doesn't the software update option give you more information about what it going to change?

The more I use iPhone (and don't get me wrong - the tech is amazing) the more I feel I am being rail roaded - opening doors and then closing of any form of escape - BIG BROTHER is determined to tell us How, who, Why, When etc, etc, etc

"LEAVE US ALONE" screems the rebel inside my head!!!

5. Mazook macrumors newbie

amen