iPhone 4G - The new name?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nevzorus, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Hi! Can the new iPhone be called iPhone 4G? It makes sense IF the iPhone gets 4G/LTE or whatever you call it. The iPhone 5 makes sense to a lot of other people but not to "applenerds" and iPhone 6 would just confuse those who don't know anything about the names.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

it think they've settled into 3gs, 4, 4s, 5, 5s... now.

also 4g sounds like a incremental improvement over 4, or 4s - they will want it to see like a totally new phone -which it mostly is by the looks of things.

3. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It's possible. I believe that it will not be called "iPhone 5" under any circumstances (simply because the "5" stands for nothing) (unlike the iPhone 3G: 3G was standing for the 3G connectivity, 3GS: 3G for the 3G design, S for speed, i4: 4 for fourth generation (Jobs said this in the keynote), 4S: 4 for the i4 design, S for Siri).

iPhone 4G is possible, but I believe they do want to get rid of the "4". iPhone LTE, iPhone NFC (if it gets NFC), etc., are all possibilities.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I continue to find it curious that so many are obsessed with what Apple decides to call the upcoming iPhone. It's as though the model name is crucial to the usefulness of the phone. :D

It's just a flippin name, I don't care in the least.

5. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

It's just fun to guess and it would be really cool if it is iPhone 4G :d

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

7. mcman77 macrumors 6502a

well done ! if its not a 4g atleast you came up with a genuine name that could sound legit.

If it was the same screen size then I would agree with confidence but since they're looking for a sort of new phone, maybe not.

8. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I've been thinking about this since day one of the name debate. The ratio of those who know the history of the naming to the general public is far too high for Apple to call it the "6". People would be confused as hell.

9. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

10. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm from Sweden so i don't know if you're sarcastic or not. :(

To the other guy: iPhone 6 sounds to many like they just skipped an entire phone

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

+1 on this.

many believe this will follow suit from the recent ipad release and how apple named that.

12. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

They can't name it the iPhone 4G- Many people actually called the iPhone 4 the 'iPhone 4G', with 4G representing the 4th generation of the iPhone. Many case makers (Especially those cheap ones) label their cases and screen protectors for iPhone 4G when they actually meant the iPhone 4.

13. luked14 macrumors 6502

It will probably be called iPhone. It will be marketed as the new iPhone and later on referred to as the 2012 or 6th generation iPhone.

Anything but the iPhone 5. I cringe every time I hear or read it. It makes absolutely no sense. iPhone 6 would make more sense.

14. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

Ofc they can. Nobody calls it the iPhone 4G..

15. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Only problem I see with calling it the "new iPhone" is when next year comes around. How are they supposed to market selling the previous gen? The "old iPhone?"

16. Nevzorus thread starter macrumors 6502

The new iPhone (7th generation)

The new iPhone (Late 2013)

17. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

They've already starting this trend with the ipad.. I really do believe they will just call it "iPhone" from here on out.

Like the previous poster mentioned.. they will just differentiate based on the generation - similar to how the macs\ipods have been for years.

18. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

But they've never kept any of those for sale after a new one launches. I get what you're saying... I just can't figure out how they will handle it.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't cringe every time. The new iPhone is overwhelmingly called the iPhone 5. Even if they call it the new iPhone, it will be referred to as the 5 by the public because it follows the 4S, much like the "new iPad" is often referred to as the "3". I hope you correct every person that calls it the "5" in your lifetime (no! it should be 6!).

20. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

iPhone (6th generation)

Just like on the apple website refurb store.

21. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

I hear iPhone 4G every day. Tons of people starting calling the iPhone 4 by that name. I have even heard 4GS for the 4S. People seemed to have carried over the 3G/3GS naming convention in their minds.

So i hope the next one is just iPhone 5. With a giant message in bold letters on the box: "NO 5G, JUST 5".

I don't know, just annoys me sometimes when they do that :p

22. ARSC macrumors 6502

On the actual iPhone there is never a number, it's the new iPhone

23. thejeff macrumors newbie

I wish they would drop the number and call it the new iPhone. Eventually the numbers would become kind of ridiculous.

24. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They don't seem to have problems selling the older refurbished macbooks, etc. The reburbished iPads even go by generations rather than iPad, iPad 2, etc.

25. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

I dont see the fun or relevance. They could call it the iPhone lightning bug and i wouldnt care.