iPhone 4GS from "Asian market" being sold in Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pivot14, Jun 12, 2010.

1. pivot14 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I live in Canada recently lost my iPhone 3GS and so I've been looking to get a replacement since stupid Rogers won't give me the same iPhone 3GS deal that I got several months ago without getting another 3 year contract.

Anyways while browsing the usual classifieds, I found one particularly surprising post where someone is selling what he or she calls the iPhone 4GS 32 GB new, unlocked for $350.

I'm posting here to ask you guys if you think this is legitimate, and whether something called the iPhone 4GS even exists?? I've attached the same photo that's in the posting which seems to show on the box that it says 4GS. I also tried to look in the posting for anything that might indicate "replica" but even if the phone was in front of me I might not be able to tell whether it was legit. The poster says it was designed in Cali and assembled in China, which I thought might be suspicious but aren't all iPhones assembled in China?

Here's the posting link:

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-buy-an...HONE-4GS-32GB-NEW-UNLOCKED-W0QQAdIdZ211096019

I tried Googling the iPhone 4GS but there seems to be very little info on it. I found another posting here that is selling a "replica" iPhone 4GS:

http://www.myluxphone.com/iphone-4gs.html

But it is quite obvious that it looks like a 3GS with a removable back cover and other features.

So what if the phone was legit, Rogers (or any other carrier) in Canada does not even offer mobile plans for 4G phones. Would I theoretically be able to use a 4G phone on a 3G iPhone plan, such as the one I have now?

I found a Gizmodo article from back in April claims that they found an iPhone prototype and are pretty convinced it's the real deal, but that it was disguised as a 3GS. Not saying that this is a prototype (actually I am quite skeptical that it is legit) but how would someone even be able to get an iPhone 4GS right now, and why would they sell it for $350, which is even less that what you can get a used iPhone 3GS for? Does not make any sense to me.

Sorry for being long winded, but let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

3. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

this is a replica (knock off china version) as the 4gs does not exist

4. sjsharks13 macrumors regular

look at the picture of the box of iphone 4 on the apple webpage and compare.

5. pivot14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah sure, and I should also rent that apartment on Craigslist from that Nigerian guy who lives overseas and requests that you send him your credit info haha

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

You too? Damn, one offered $945 for my 2G, sure are a lot of "Nigerians" on CL...

7. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Jesus H Christ. Really? I think I've been on here too long as I received a lovely headache reading that. :confused:

8. ryhno45 macrumors regular

Has to be real! It includes replaceable Apple Batteries:p

...and a stylus pen

9. pika2000 macrumors 68030

:rolleyes:
    Really? I mean, really? Do you have to ask? :rolleyes:

Being tricked by knock-off shoes/bags is one thing, but come on. :rolleyes:

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If "4G S" doesn't give it away, I don't know what else does.

11. Howardchief macrumors regular

It's obvious that image is doctored.. Come on OP.

12. gimmesomemo macrumors newbie

gimmesomemo

haha adress - Surrey is the icing on the cake. Explanation of my disgust of that part of vancouver - Every year people come up from Surrey to Whistler for a long weekend, and our nice safe mountain town turns into chav central with packs of youths terrorising not just eachother but locals. Shootings, stabbings and beatings is a given when they come to town, I wouldn't buy from a Surrey address even if it looked legit.

13. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Wow it has Java I am going to buy 20 of them!

14. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Thats what I though, some knock-off stuff like clothes and bags are hard to tell with but if anyone is silly enough to buy that "iPhone 4G s" then they deserve the cheap piece of Chinese s**t that they get.

Just because it has :apple: on the box, doesn't mean its :apple: in the box ;)

Theres more holes in that sales pitch then in a sieve..... Eday? Dual Camera Light?? Java???.... The list goes on and on!
    /Rookie

15. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

you should have known the phone was a knockoff when you saw "2 piece battery" in the ad

16. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

hahaha
    FLASH FLASH FLASH.. Get em while their HOT

17. Vicbowling macrumors newbie

It has to be a come-on because even if the "latest" iPhone 4G s was on the market as a viable product it wouldn't be available in Canada right away. I mean lets face it, while the Japanese and Americans are playing with their high-tech gadgets, computer stores in Canada are flogging computers with Athlon and Atom processors -both very slow according to benchmark tests. It's hard to find quality high-end electronic gadgets in Canada because it's like the clearing house for other countries' electronic crap.
    Also, after you buy that iPhone 4Gs can I interest you in a free insurance quote?

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There is no such thing as an iPhone 4G or 4GS. Apple does not ship a product with a 4G antennae. The iPhone 4 does not have one.

Do not buy.