Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I'm giving my mom a 3GS 16 to test drive and see how she likes it. She had a crappy go-phone and all the other new smart phones on AT&T are not that "friendly" for older people. The iPhone to me seems the best in terms of ease of use and quality. She is new to smartphones and I think this is the best choice.

Problem is, I can't decide on purchasing a 16 or 32? I don't know if she will use it a lot but I also don't want it running out of space. Something tells me 32. I have always had 32 myself and my current 4S is a 64. I have a feeling she is going to like it so much better once she starts using it.

Anyone have a similar situation?

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
How long will she be using it to test drive and when do you plan on buying the 4S?

With October (and the next iPhone expected to be released then) just around the corner, I'd recommend her simply using the 3GS until then and upgrading to whatever Apple releases.

Not only will she be getting the latest and greatest, but you'd have a much clearer idea of how she'll use it.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
It depends on what you think she might do with it. My mom went kind of app crazy and got 9GB of apps on her iPad...
Also if your mom has any music or movies, then I'd go with 32 because those add up fast.

But coming from a go phone I doubt she'll do much of that, so 16 would be enough for email, family pics, etc.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
My plan was to buy her a phone next week/ mid month. The 3GS is ok but it's seen better days. She does like music and has a nice collection. I'm just curious how things will end up in terms of use. Lol, such first world problems here. :rolleyes:

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009
16 gig. She won't be watching movies and such on it. The next biggest thing to take up space is large games and she probably won't be doing that either. The biggest thing she will probably use is the camera. Once they see how nice it is at taking pics, they start taking pics of everything. :D

If you consider that most android devices are on the lower end of memory, 16 gigs is a decent amount of storage.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
16GB will be plenty unless she plans on storing a bunch of movies and music on there which if she's anything like my mom isn't likely. I know once my mom discovered YouTube on the go it was game over LOL. Plus Pandora which saves on space because you've got unlimited music that takes up no space on the iPhone itself.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
For what it's worth... I got my mom her first iPad a couple of years ago, both she and my dad love it alot. She has never come close to using the 16GB on it even though she uploads pics etc on it.

Because she knew I was switching to a different phone, she asked what I was going to do with my iP4 I asked if she was interested and she was quite excited so I got it unlocked and sent it to her. Imagine my horror as I realized that all along I had a 32GB phone, never even came close to using that space and I was giving mumsy a phone I could likely still sell for 500.00 :eek:

Either way I am sure she will love it. But to answer your question, I suspect your mom will never tap the 16GB on that phone, if she is not tech savvy she will likely alway be concerned that she is nearing the limit even when she is no where close.

I mean, what takes up useage? Apps? Sure but how many apps will she use on a PHONE? Pics and video? If she gets used to using it she will still not ever come close to filling it up. Also, for music? Does she already have tonnes of music on her computer in iTunes that she wants on her phone? Unlikely... Save some cash and go with the 16GB imo.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
13.4GB is your usable space if I'm correct. Depends on your mother if she loves to collect/take photos, tons of music...then she can fill it up easily. I would recommend 32GB(27.xGB usable space)...why? because its sort of future proof, like many parents I'm sure she's going to want to take tons of photos and carry those memories around with her as well as have a collection of all her favourite music....~400 Songs = ~2GB.....Also do keep in mind that iPhone 4S 1hour video = 12GB...15mins=3GB etc...you can do the math....so 16GB for even a parent isn't enough especially I'm sure she will be excited to capture moments of her kids, grand kids, nephews, nieces and getting that message "Storage Full" would be the last thing she would want to do...at least with 32GB she has the flexibility and you your self can backup her pictures and videos when ever you have time.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Thanks guys for the info. She started texting me today and sending/taking photos. She likes it as it's much easier to use than the crap non-smart phone she had. I am going to let it go for a month or so and see how she uses it and see if 16 will work. If it does, I will just get her a 4S. She won't need a new iPhone 5.

Lots of good points here. We shall see how it goes.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
My plan was to buy her a phone next week/ mid month. The 3GS is ok but it's seen better days. She does like music and has a nice collection. I'm just curious how things will end up in terms of use. Lol, such first world problems here. :rolleyes:

My opinion, not a good move on your part buying now. In a few short months the new phone is out and the older ones will go for less $$ and that will save you some cash for something else. The 3GS might have seen its day but goodness, can you wait just 3 months or so ??

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
My opinion, not a good move on your part buying now. In a few short months the new phone is out and the older ones will go for less $$ and that will save you some cash for something else. The 3GS might have seen its day but goodness, can you wait just 3 months or so ??

It's not a patience thing. I just don't think she will really care if it's the 5 or the 4S. However, if I'm going to renew her contract for another two years, it does makes sense I should do it with the latest and greatest. :)

I hear you loud and clear. I think the 3GS will do just fine for her right now. :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It's not a patience thing. I just don't think she will really care if it's the 5 or the 4S. However, if I'm going to renew her contract for another two years, it does makes sense I should do it with the latest and greatest. :)

I hear you loud and clear. I think the 3GS will do just fine for her right now. :D

I would consider the money saving aspect. You'll save $99 if you wait a couple of months. If that doesn't matter either, pull the trigger now! :)

corriewf

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2009

Moms always deserve the newest generation iPhones. ;)

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
32. if she's like my mom, she'll record tons of hd video and takes tons of pictures.

video fills up fast and I only back them up every few months for her.

if she doesn't have young kids to record and take pics of (like 20 pics of a newborn grandson a day, and she loves having acces to ALL her photos),16 should be enough.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.