iPhone 4s - 16gb - on sale at target!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryno76, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Ryno76 macrumors member

Just FYI......The iPhone 4s 16gb is on sale for $150 bucks at target! With a 2 year plan of course....I believe it's the AT&T one. Can't remember the last time I've seen a $50 sale on an iPhone.....and i'm not counting a discounted price on old phones when they launch new ones....

2. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Is 50 bucks really that much of a problem for people?

3. Ryno76 thread starter macrumors member

It could for some people...pitched in and got one for my nephew for graduation. He had a hand me down 3G. $50 bucks is $50 bucks to spend on something else!

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Considering how well the 3GS and 4 are still selling despite their age, I think the answer is an obvious 'yes.'

5. andross77 macrumors regular

the reality is not that $50 is a problem. anyone that can afford and iphone doesn't see $50 as a problem. the issue is the average consumer has the attention span of a fly and when a commercial tells them they need something or their neighbor gets a toy and they covet it, they run to the store and buy it.

SINCE they have the attention span of a fly they are not able to take the time and do the simple math of a 2 year contract. If they knew that the iphone 4s with data plan over 2 years cost $2,600 and now it only costs $2,550, they wouldn't be waiting for these sales and would instead enjoy their phones.

But people are stupid, excuse me I mean they have the attention span of a fly and will always concentrate on the cost right this day and not the thousands they are paying over their contract.

6. Ryno76 thread starter macrumors member

are you saying i have an attention span of a fly?....the 50 bucks can mean a lot to some people....for one, if you already have an iphone and you are thinking that you might want to upgrade, you are saving money (as the case for my nephew). he was actually saving up money so he could purchase his own, so if we didn't get him a new phone as a gift it would have been easier for him to purchase. For me, it would just be 50 more bucks to put towards my future bill....or have a nice dinner out with the GF.

7. chokem macrumors 6502

My wife has been holding on to her BB9700 for six months now, even though she has an upgrade. This is a pretty attractive price for a 4S. She saw this before I did.

8. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

Whats truly amazing is that I just sold my IP4 on Ebay for $280. WHo the heck would pay $280 for a 2 year old device? I guess since it was $600 new ( unsubsidized), $280 is about half after 2 years.

Apple products sure do hold their value.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I sold mine for $250 a month ago so I agree they definitely do hold their value. When you put up an Apple product for sale on Craigslist it doesn't take long to get a response.

10. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

So if a person desires to be frugal and save anywhere they can, anyway they can, they are stupid and have the attention span of a fly? Got it! I have obviously been misinformed on the basics of economics all these years. Thanks for clearing that up for me and pointing out how stupid people are for taking advantage of opportunities to save money.

11. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

For the average person who doesn't follow phone news closely, they'll go out and buy the iPhone for $50 less because it seems like a good deal to them. Smart move for the retailers locking people into new contracts before the new iPhone releases in a couple of months.

People who sold their iPhones, did you get them unlocked (if with ATT) or did you just sell as-is?

12. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Still, $50 is a fairly large bag of groceries. For example.

People are not stupid for trying to save 50 bucks - people who allow themselves to get suckered into 2 year contracts are stupid.

13. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I agree $50 is pretty good.

I was actually looking to give a phone for father's day.

I was even considering an AT&T refurbished model, but the same savings for brand new at Target. Why not?

$50 is $50. After all, you pay $50 tax on this thing too, so the $50 wipes that clean and you can walk out only $200 poorer.

Plus, it's only $480 over 2 years if it's an extra line you already have ($10) and you are forced to add the basic data plan. $480 is a lot of money, but it's effectively paying for the phone.

The only reason I might not go with the Target model is I suspect they take it out of the box and poke and prod it? I don't want to risk any damage.

I feel as though the message to "wait," is a bit off for some too. Sure, for me I wouldn't buy my phone now. I always buy the day it comes out.

However, for someone who needs a new phone, what are they to do? Plus, I suspect this new iPhone is going to be September-October timeframe. That is quite a while to wait. Again, not a long wait for those of us already with 4S, but for others, it is.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

The cheapest AT&T plan for an iPhone is $55 a month?

That means that over the course of the contract, $50 off the phone price will save you a total of 3% $1520 -> $1470 on your total payments.

:rolleyes:

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Or they may already have a 3GS or 4, which has the 2 year cost as the 4S. Making it $150 vs $199.

16. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Since its obvious 50 dollars isn't a huge deal for you, can you lend me 50 dollars?

17. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

It's good because a lot of people don't have AT&T or they don't want to upgrade and sign their life away again :D hehe

18. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No but I can think of a few cases of something I'd rather buy :D

19. vistadude macrumors 65816

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

$55 if you're an individual.

If you're just adding or upgrading a family line, it's $30 per month ($10 voice, $20 data), and you're going to have the $10 voice on any phone.

The thing is too people already have their monthly phone bill in their budget. They may not have an extra $250 in a whack allotted for a new phone. $50 helps.

21. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

Who cares about the people buying them, the fact of the matter is that the iPhone 4S is now listed $50 less! That just means the newer phone is getting nearer and nearer.. Thats all I care about at least..

22. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Has anyone bought one at Target?

Do they open the box to activate it or do they just scan some barcodes on the box?

Thanks!

23. K00LJerk macrumors newbie

I'm such a cheapskate I'll wait for iPhone 5 to drop the price of the 4S to 49 bucks from AT&T

24. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

This argument is stupid, and here's why: that $2,600 is over the course of two years, not all at once. The $50 is a right now charge. So maybe someone can afford to have the monthly bill of an iPhone but cannot afford the additional $200 on top of it for the first month, but $50 will help.

That, and apparently everyone on this site is filthy rich, because while I'm not struggling to get by by any means, $50 is still a good amount of money to me, and if I can save $50, I'll happily do so.

25. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Would you purposely pay $50 when you don't have to?