iPhone 4S, 4, Android or Blackberry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dixie8123, Nov 13, 2011.

1. dixie8123 macrumors member

I am in the market to look to buy a new smartphone after christmastime.

I currently own a Samsung Intensity II

My plan is to save all of the money I get, and ask for cash for christmas.

My estimate is to get in between $350-$520 cash on xmas, according to Mom.

I usually get $175-$300 on Christmastime from family, closer to $300 if I ask for only cash.

That puts my estimated budget to $475 on the low end to $820 on the high end.

----------------------------

My needs are:
    Good e-mail system
    Good integration with current products, iPad 1, MBP 13" 2010, iPod Touch 2nd Gen., ATV 2.
    Good browsing
    Verizon
    Good app store
    Simple
    Sturdy OS
    Good camera

My wants are:
    iCloud intergration
    Facetime or Video Chat
    Siri

What should I get within my budget?

PS: Open to refurb/used and has to be no contract
    PSS: No Samsung phones

2. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

You'll want an iPhone.

3. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Your wants cannot be found on BB or Android.

You should get an iPhone, based on your wants. The decision is now narrowed down to 4 or 4S. Just to mention you could mirror your iPhone's screen to your TV with your ATV2. Wireless mirroring does not work on iPhone 4. (At least, without hacks)

4. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

I would like the wireless mirroring to make up for iPad 1's lack of. The thing is, do you think I could afford a 4S with my estimated budget.

5. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Definitely the 4S -- you won't regret it!

Depending on the model, assuming you're eligible for a contract upgrade, it would only cost you $199 (16GB), $299, (32GB), or $399 (64GB). If not, you can get the cheapest unlocked 4S directly from apple for $749 (16GB), or probably a bit cheaper on eBay or elsewhere.

6. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

My parents just got me my Samsung Intensity for a "great" birthday present. I am still locked in, but I have to stay with Verizon. So I think the upgrade is $649, thank god, save $100. Ill have to look around though.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You can sell the Intensity as well.

8. dixie8123 thread starter macrumors member

How much do you think I would get, maybe $50?

9. techguy20 macrumors 6502

Seems they are selling on eBay for somewhere around that. Take a look at some of the auctions and see what condition yours is in.

Or maybe you can sell it to a friend or family or something.

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Ok first it's CHRISTMAS TIME not CHRISTMASTIME now that we have that blasfimy corrected less get on with your question , aside the fact you just used the b word in your question. I have a 4s my fiancé has a 4, the most noteworthy differences are Siri and apps tend to load a bit faster on the 4s. Now if you can handle living without Siri then the 4 would suit you fine as both have a spellcheck built right in;)

11. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

conclusion: iPhone 4S

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

you realize being on a iPhone site is going to slant your votes. To guess what device. So to be fair I would poke around blackberry and android forums as well. I also would depend more on your own research then complete strangers.

13. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

The things he already owns should definitely tell you he needs an iPhone. Not slanted, bb or android isn't going to do anything with an apple tv.

14. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Anything but Blackberry. RIM is about to ditch BBOS7 for BBX next year.

BB was king of email when no one had email. Now not so much. Android has better Gmail integration, but when Sparrow is released on iOS it should be better.

15. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

First off it's blasphemy not blasfimy and it's lets not less. Don't go correcting someone else and making yourself look even worse.

16. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Lol got to love people correcting someone and getting other stuff wrong

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yea they just end up making themselves look stupid lol.

18. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Your wants are all iOS base features.
    Your needs are all fulfilled with an iPhone
    Meaning that rules out Android or Blackberry.

You want Siri, so that leaves only the iPhone4S as the only option.

hehe no windows phone luv? 4th option

19. sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

icloud - you can't edit your docs online from a non apple device. Google docs you can edit from any web connected device. Easy way to share docs with others on google docs.

facetime/video chat: you can only facetime over wireless on iphone but you can video chat over wireless or 3g on android.

Siri - android has similar features. has had voice to text for 2 years. More mature and advanced voice recognition. The new version Android 4.0 will display each word on the screen as you say it making it easier to stop and correct a mistake. You can see what google are doing with youtube "transcribe audio" feature they are the leaders.

just keeping it real :)

20. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

4S>Android>4 imo. Just don't get a Blackberry; it's a dying breed of phones.

There are some great Android devices out there, but my biggest problem with Android phones is the lack of timely updates (unless you get a Google branded phone, and even then you're looking at 3-6 months between updates).

An iPhone 4S is a great phone and will handle everything you need as well as want.

21. klo-mac macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

What u are asking is just an iPhone. I own an iPhone 4 but I can't forget best experience with blackberry... My next phone probably will be a Blackberry even I know that best phone in market is iPhone, even I have all other Mac products.

iPhone is more a gadget and less a phone.

22. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

No I'll give you a first off, there are multiple correct spellings of the word and we are both correct. Second of all if you'd like to have a battle of wits with me then I'm up for it anytime. So go google it mr public education and pm if you would like to compare accomplishments. ;)

23. phySi0 macrumors member

Misinformation!

True, but the Apple devices also have the best office suite. iWork is awesome, so why edit your docs on another device? I wouldn't edit it on other people's devices, if that's what you were thinking. That's too insecure.

True again, but who will he chat to? Where will he chat? Outdoors, in the house? If he will chat to other FT users in the house, then the iP4S is perfect. If not, then the other benefits of the iP may outweigh this relatively minor factor, considering video chat, even on desktops, isn't ubiquitous yet.

WOW! Do you really believe what you are saying? Siri is way better than Android's dictation feature. And yes, I've tried the transcribe audio feature on YouTube. It never works. Maybe I'm just unlucky. Just because Google have had their dictation feature public for longer, doesn't mean it's more "mature".

24. sneaky butcher, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

sneaky butcher macrumors 6502

you would rather edit docs on an iphone rather than full size pc with keyboard? bizzare.

anyone with a video calling feature on their phone except iphone. he will chat anywhere he likes becuase he doesnt have to be connected to wifi.

i'll say that the implimentation is nice on siri . But during my research the most common fucntion i found people using was voice to text for messaging while driving.

Yes the fact google has been going 2 years does make it better they have billions of more data points. Also the google servers have never had any problems becuase theres so many.

Transcribe audio on youtube shows how difficult voice recognition is with diffirent accents and speech patterns. Siri has the same problems but google are using the biggest video database on the web to improve theirs. Whats apple doing?

Siri cant do realtime word by word transcribing like android 4.0 (as seen on youtube) , maybe in OS6? but then i dont think apple has the server power to impliment it mass market like google can.

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker