iPhone 4S / 5 appears in Apple’s inventory system, iPod touch may see price drops

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by batting1000, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

So it MAY be an iPhone 4S?? Hmmmmmm.....

An iPhone 4S with an A5 and HSPA+ is not an automatic buy for me. Assistant MIGHT push me over the edge. I often wish I could more easily text using voice while driving.

2. SenseiPhone macrumors regular

3. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

If they added better features - like more ram, A5 chip, better camera, etc. - without a redesign it'd be cool too.

4. korndawg macrumors regular

5. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Hmmmmmm. The next iPhone is looking like it might be a big letdown for many people for different reasons. :(

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

If they release a 4S only, with the same dinky screen, we could be seeing the first major blow to iPhone's reign. I think a lot of people, myself included, will be disappointed.

7. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

I just don't see what the benefit of a redesign would bring. Yeah, it would probably look nice, but more RAM, A5 chip, and a better camera would bring it up to par.

8. korndawg macrumors regular

Iphone 4S would still have a small screen, terrible ergonomics and fragile back glass. Sure, the design looks sweet, but thats about it.

9. auxsend macrumors regular

auxsend

I wonder if Apple sees polls come in saying that 41% of mobile device owners will upgrade if it is a redesigned 5, versus 11% if it's just a 4s.

I mean, if 11% upgrade, they still make money, but if 41% upgrade. That's gotta be the goal right? I mean this is a business here.

10. Macaddict16 macrumors 6502

What if Apple is making us think only the 4S is being released. Maybe they are telling AT&T that they will be getting the 4S and their own stores the same thing. Then next Tuesday they will blow us all away. Wishful thinking... :)

11. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

How do you know this?

12. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

I think they'll up it slightly but it probably won't be anything larger than 4 inches yet.

Fragile back glass? Well that's why they make cases. It's also a way for Apple to make money, in addition to looking good. People are akways dropping their iPhone 4's and they want a new back or a new iPhone so they have to pay.

Terrible ergonomics? Do you want it to mold to the curve of your face or something? C'mon.

----------

Because it's what the current iPhone has and if it's not a redesign, the design won't change, only the insides will.

13. korndawg macrumors regular

Again, for the 1000000th time. the 4S is the assumption that its a iphone 4 w/ only internal upgrades (A5, 1GB ram, 8 meg camera). The iphone 5 refers as a redesign w/ larger screen, teardrop chassis, etc.

14. iZeeshan macrumors regular

I really just don't see how Apple is not going to release a completely new phone after 16 months. This can't just be a minor update or just a hardware update.

Yes, a lot of people appreciate hardware updates but a lot of people also want to see a new phone. They want people to be like, "WOAH you have the new iPhone 5!?!!?!? AWESOME". No one will do that if it looks like an iPhone 4 and it will be seriously discouraging to buyers.

Yes, probably, a lot of people will upgrade anyway because it's an Apple device but I'm just really relying on the fact that it's been such a long time since the iPhone 4 release that there has to be something incredible coming from Apple.

I just lost my iPhone 4 so I will probably buy anything that comes out, but I would not have upgraded, not even early, if it's not going to be a newly redesigned phone. The new features sound great, but a newer, prettier design sounds even better, even though I LOVED the iPhone 4 design.

15. korndawg macrumors regular

Why would anyone was a phone which virtually require you to have a case?? The iphone 4 is a gorgeous phone and it absolutely sux that u have hide the beauty with a case.

Ergonomics are bad. The curved back on a 3G/3GS is way more comfortable than the 4.

16. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

So you know this because you work at Apple?

If it's an assumption, why is it being stated as fact?

Edit: We don't know that they won't make some slight changes to address some of the design issues...such as the shattering back glass.

17. mholtz2323 macrumors member

This is a bit of a stretch. 9to5mac could be right on, but first they thought it was fake and now it MAY be real or maybe it's "just be a coincidence."

I always go back to a post on thisismynext where they explained the only reason why people are talking about an iPhone 4s is because apple is testing the iPhone 5 internals in an iPhone 4 like shell.

18. korndawg macrumors regular

I was replying to this: I just don't see what the benefit of a redesign would bring. Yeah, it would probably look nice, but more RAM, A5 chip, and a better camera would bring it up to par.

19. batting1000 thread starter macrumors 604

Really? Anyone who's read even one or two iPhone 4S/5 rumors could make this assumption.

----------

I'm not saying it requires a case, but what do you want Apple to do? construct plastic devices like Samsung just so it doesn't crack the enclosure when you drop it?

20. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

So....... There is no iPhone 5 in 2011....... :mad:

21. Muad'Dib macrumors 6502

But why state an assumption as fact? We don't know that Apple won't make some tweaks to address things such as shattering glass backs.

22. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

This, except I think the design looks stupid. I've held out for the 5, especially after my 3G was stolen recently and I've downgraded to a toss-away. If it is just a 4S with the same ugly design and bad feel... ugh.

23. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

I disagree. Most people are not geeks. My 4 works fantastic. If it's only internal upgrades - there would be no point for me.