iPhone 4s and an elevator shaft

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by osxabsd, Mar 26, 2012.

1. osxabsd macrumors member

My wife dropped her iPhone 4s while in an elevator at a hotel. It fell through the gap. Fortunately she was on the main floor and it only fell 5 feet below the elevator. The hotel got the Otis repairman to retrieve it. No damage except for a small scratch on the protective film that we had put on the screen. The iPhone works!

2. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

You're really frigging lucky! Whenever I go into an elevator I grip my iPhone and don't let go. :p

3. machacker macrumors regular

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Hah, that's great. Glad to hear it made it back safe and sound! :D

5. devil in angel macrumors newbie

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

It probably sustained impact from all that garbage in that shaft. Could never figure out how any garbage even gets down there. It's like someone lives down there.

7. taedouni macrumors 65816

I always fear of dropping my keys in those gaps.

8. siliconcowboy macrumors newbie

Man I'm glad I'm not the only one that has that fear.

9. louiek macrumors 6502

Saw that happen to a girl at work, it slipped straight through the gap, didn't touch the sides. We had to inform security as her ringtone was a recording of her daughter saying "Mummy, mummy, I love you mummy".

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad your wife got her phone back unharmed. :D

That is why I ALWAYS put my keys in my pocket before getting on an elevator.:cool:

11. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Wow... I can only imagine the drama that would ensue if nobody knew it was just a phone ringing.

12. louiek macrumors 6502

The ringing was creepy enough, and clearly audible in the lobby. But when that sweet little voice stopped as the call rang out, or the elevator arrived, that was worse.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

I usually check my mail on the way to the elevator. Plus I live on the 6th floor so I like to keep my keys ready.

14. Reticent macrumors member

It really is amazing the beating these little guys can take. But then again, why would apple brand a product that would break/fall apart as easily as some of the phones that I used to have?

15. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I am in commercial construction. I can tell you that people drop keys down office building elevator shafts pretty frequently. I've even dropped mine on the floor one time and they slid a couple of feet to the edge and stopped just before falling, with maybe one or two keys hanging down. Was like something you see in a movie. :D

Crap gets in the shaft all the time, from people dropping it, like keys and papers to leaves and dirt getting in the top from the machine room above or even when people are doing maintenance, they drop stuff. Plus, the machinery makes dust from the metal to metal contact all day. Most inspectors make you clean the shaft if it's dirty during the annual inspection, but it can get overlooked, unless your elevator guy or maintenance people are stickers for it being clean. I've seen some that look like a trash dump and some that looked like you could eat off it.

Some even have puddles of water in the bottom, lucky for the OP that was not the case.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Same way the iPhone in the OP got there.

17. TheGdog macrumors 6502

TheGdog

I fear dropping anything down one.