iPhone 4S and iPad 2, or Android and iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spike87, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Spike87 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Do all try to contain your excitement, but I'm about to start another 'what do I buy' thread (!). Having said that, I'm not wanting my mind to be made up for me, but some opinions from the community as to what they would choose and why.

Here's the situation: I currently have an HTC smartphone - which I quite dislike (naff battery, general android experience etc) - and a 1st Gen iPad. I'm thinking of selling the Android phone to purchase an iPhone 4S, and then part exchanging my iPad 1 for an iPad 2 (I'm really feeling the lack of RAM in the iPad 1) when it inevitibly drops in price at the iPad 3 launch. The second option is to stick with my Android phone and sell my iPad 1 to fund a 3G equipped iPad 3 come March.

I like the convenience of having iOS and an 8MP camera in my pocket (and synced with iCloud), but all this talk of retina displays and quad-core processors for the iPad 3 is making this a tough choice!

I use both devices a fair bit: the iPad is excellent for content creation (yes, you did read that right), reading, and watching iplayer etc. The Android device is a phone, gps, mp3 player and communication device that is always on my person.

What would you choose and why?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I really feel that having your phone and tablet share the same OS is a huge, huge advantage when it comes to apps.

I also feel that Android is competitive in phones, but not in tablets.

Therefore, I feel that you should do whatever you need to do to have an iPhone and an iPad, even if they're not the newest versions.

That's my conclusion, anyway. You can use those data points to arrive at a different conclusion if you like.

3. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

I agree with this.

I would wait for the first ICS-tablets to come in before making a decision on which way to go though. They might eliminate the gap between the tablets.

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

IMO, If u love ur iPad, you will love the 4S. And since you say you dislike your HTC partly because of the "android experience" it seems like a no brainer.

Secondly, I wouldn't count your chickens just yet about the iPad 3.

I think an ipad 2 and a 4S will set u up nicely for a long while. For me, photostream alone is reason enough. I have 2 kids and being able to shoot pics on the iphone and have them immediately available on the iPad for my wife to view is great. And that is just one reason. It is very easy to get caught up in the Apple vortex. Once you get one product, your kinda locked in if you want the full experience. For me, I LOVE IT. I started with the iphone in 07 and was a total PC guy. Now, I have nothing but Apple products and would never go back.

5. Spike87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, ICS is attempting to bring unity between devices, but there are certain iPad apps I need to use that ICS will not (and in some cases never will) have. Without these apps I'd have to rely on my desktop much more to accomplish work.

I am leaning towards this option. Like you say it is very (too?) easy to get sucked into the vortex of consumerism in general, and Apple in particular!

6. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

Out of curiosity, which apps are these?

7. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

If you already do not like the android experience, I would head for the 4s and ipad 2. These will last significantly longer than any android tablet or phone (from my experience) and will work well together. Most importantly the phone because I am assuming, like anyone, that you use it the most. Therefore it should be your first concern to have a phone you enjoy using.

I like the android platform tbh, and ics will make it much better, but it is not nearly as seemless as ios YET. Unless you like to constantly tinker, the 4s and ipad 2 will be great (once they sort the battery of the 4s out)

8. Spike87, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

Spike87 thread starter macrumors newbie

The iWork apps, Accordance (niche academic software), ia Writer, Instapaper etc. I also generally prefer the superior quality of iOS apps over Android alternatives.

To be honest, I think my iPad gets more use than my phone. I only use my phone when I'm not in a position to use the iPad or don't have it on me (plus my phone loses batterey FAST if it does anything considered 'smart'!). If I had a 4S this might change, but the retina display of the iPad 3 (if it actually happens) would make working/reading much nicer.

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I had the HTC Evo, when I got my iPad 2 back in July and I really didn't enjoy trying to use them both. Nothing syncs, there are very few apps that are available for both and etc.

It really makes sense to stick with one OS, so stuff can be used on both.

10. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

No brainier. iPhone and iPad because of the syncing.

11. kalex macrumors 65816

Then stick to IOS stuff.

12. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Treat the tablet and the phone purchases separately. They are separate devices. I have a Kindle Fire and an iPhone, and I'm just fine!