iphone 4s and samsung galaxy robbed at gunpoint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imeth, Jan 17, 2012.

1. imeth macrumors regular

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me when I was in chicago this summer, except it was with a knife, so I was able to get away.

3. Prototypical macrumors 6502

Prototypical

This is why I don't do business on Craigslist. eBay or forums are the way to go (cash first, then ship).

4. MacBookPro13" macrumors 6502a

MacBookPro13"

Sounds like a girl to me when I read that, for some reason.

5. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Why do people not meet in very public places? Craigslist is beneficial but meet inside of a retail store or something. I don't even do parking lots. I'm swapping my 4S for a black 4S today at an Apple store inside of a mall, how much you wanna be I don't get robbed lol.

6. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

I got robbed for an iphone 4 I was selling back in July....but I got mine back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tTwkq8usas

----------

Meeting in a public place doesn't mean you don't get robbed. I got robbed and I was in a very public place.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This is what totally put's me off ebay as well. A good few years back I advertised and sold a minidisc player to what seemed like a genuine couple who paid the asking price and left.

The following day the house was burgled and several tenants lost lot's of things. They tried breaking my door in, but failed, leaving my precious guitars and equipment intact.

The police tracked them down in the end, seems they had been using this stunt to canvas places to burgle.

One thing to remember (and I know it's hard) It's only a phone / iPad etc. If someone points a gun at you, give them what they want. Phones and the like can be replaced, it's not worth trying to fight back, as much as you may want to.

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

9. war eagle macrumors 6502a

HAHA! Not laughing at your story, but that QuickTrip is by my house. About ten minutes away.

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Exactly. Even better: I meet people in a movie theater lobby on weekends. There's always a couple of county cops there that the theater hires on their days off to provide security for the Saturday night crowds.

I'd love to see someone try and rob me with 4 uniformed, armed cops standing 20 feet away.

11. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I also have a concealed handgun license but in certain cases it doesn't mean anything. For example, take the case of the op. They pulled a gun on the person. If you were that person and they saw you trying to pull out a gun they might have shot you in the head or something. The problem is you and I are not the only ones with guns. A lot of bad people have them too. In certain cases when a gun is pulled on you, just give it up even if you have a gun. There was a story about a guy in Dallas who went to meet a person they found on Craigslist to sell them a car and when the person tried to rob him, he went for his gun but before he was able to get it out he was shot in the head and died shortly after. Don't get me wrong a chl is very useful but in certain cases it won't do much.

12. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Seriously, you do anything on CL, you meet at a public place. I've met at the mall, starbucks whatever etc. If you don't meet anywhere public your asking for trouble.

This just happened recently except the victim won ;) ... though I don't recommend disarming someone with a gun trying to rob you of your iphone and cash lol

A Pompano Beach man foiled a would-be Craigslist robber when he grabbed his gun, fought him and restrained him, the Broward Sheriff’s Office said.
    http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...igslist-Robber-Sits-on-Him-BSO-136959548.html

13. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

You are right, but they are not going to have the gun on you as they are running.

14. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ebay seems the scammers might not risk your life, but are easier for them to get away with that and not much you can do to prevent it.

At least Craigslist there are things you can do to prevent (meet in public places during busy times, I hear in front of a bank is really good. Also be wary of how they contact you).

Unfortunately, there is no safe way. I suppose Ebay is safer from the at least you won't get robbed at gunpoint which is a huge point. But ebay has far less things you can do to prevent them from just stealing from you. You pretty much have to risk it and hope the bidder is honest (You can't even be picky about who you sell to).

15. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I use Craigslist whenever I want to unload something. Typically its pretty safe. Just meet in a public place, INSIDE.

I would not consider by a gas station a public place. I would say INSIDE a Starbucks, away from the entrance a public and safe place to conduct a transaction, especially in a busy location.

I would also bring a friend to sit away from me by the entrance, in case something went down they can call for help or stop the person from getting away.

I sold a MacBook Air this way in Australia, and funnily enough the guy who was buying it also had a back up person. After the transaction I rejoined my backup person, and then I turned back and saw that he too had someone watching his back (he walked by them and they left together). Can never be too careful!

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

You wanna put money on that? They guy swaps phones and then has his goons follow you out to your car. Can happen to anyone.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I'd say atleast meet somewhere where you know there is cameras. So even if you get robbed the person will be on camera and be caught at a later time.

18. deeddawg, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 603

Gazelle and eBay instant are fine resources for those people too scared to sell to individuals via things like ebay or CL. Is there a chance of getting ripped off with CL? Sure there is, but that chance can be minimized with simple precautions.

My rules for any CL transaction:
    • Daylight meetings only.
    • Meet inside at something like Starbucks or similar with other people closeby, limited entrance/egress points, clear view of the parking lot from inside.
    • I arrive well ahead of the appointed time so I can select a spot with a clear view and the other party does not know what vehicle I drove.
    • Cash only, of course. A counterfeit pen is cheap insurance if you're wary of fake bills.
    • If the person can't / won't speak on the phone, no deal.
    • Be hyper-aware of your surroundings after the transaction. See folks lurking outside? Chill out a while. Worst case bring them to the attention of store management and express your concern.
    • Trust my instincts; if it doesn't feel right, like maybe they're trying to pressure me to meet somewhere other than my suggestion, no deal.

Don't meet in a parking lot somewhere, too isolated. Don't meet at a mall food court or similar; too easy for them to grab-and-run, disappearing into the crowd. Especially if they have a helper standing around a corner to hand-off the item to. Do not let them come to your home, don't go to their place either.

I won't say it *can't* happen, but choosing your parking spot and your meeting location well can minimize this immensely. Couple that with being aware of the movements of people around you and retreating back into the store to seek assistance, and I'd put the chances at close to nil.

19. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I'm paranoid. I do loops around the mall. Did it today, hit a couple stores and went to the food court sat down and ate for like 30 minutes after I swapped my white 4S for a black one at the Apple store.

20. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

lol needless to say at the time it wasn't funny, but looking back on it, it actually is in a way lol. I still sell on craigslist (just as I had been for quite a while prior to that happening) and haven't had anymore issues......hopefully I won't have anymore any time soon..

21. imeth thread starter macrumors regular

stupid robbers probably flagged down the site.. I'll post what it exactly said..