iPhone 4s antenna causing battery drain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmaccy, Nov 7, 2011.

1. macmaccy macrumors member

Here's a thought...could it be possible that the cause of the battery drain is due to the redesigned antenna?

Here is my thinking....I use my phone the same amount at home as I do at work. Very light use, check email, maybe 15-30 minutes of calling (8 hour period). I have the same signal strength at home as I do at work....usually about 3-4 bars, sometimes I get full signal (more often at work).

At home my phone discharges very slow...less then 1% per hour.
    At work my phone discharges very fast.....about 2-4% per hour.

At work, I'm inside a warehouse environment with lots of metal and at home it's your typical 2 story wood frame house.

I have never noticed such an increase in battery use in any of my other phones...I just switched from Android.

Anyone have anything that might explain this?

Could this be the reason some have the battery drain and others don't? Also, this may also explain why my wifes iphone last for days and mine (which was just replaced for battery drain) keeps draining really fast?

One last note....I made a call earlier for about 5 minutes, my battery dropped 5%....Hmmm?

This replacement is basically acting the same as the one it replaced.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

it's 5.0 software that why 5.0.1 is being tested and rushed out!

3. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

If the signal is weaker, the phone will use more energy trying to keep connection. Thus, the battery will degrade quicker.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

People would also be showing fewer or less bars and that is not what is happening.

When the iPhone 4 first came out, there was the same clammer about poor battery life and with several OS tweeks the battery became quite acceptable. I think the same will happen with the 4S even though it has a faster processor.

Be calm and Apple will update.:)

5. Macky Mac macrumors member

You might be onto something. So many people are reporting very strange battery usage with no common thread...or a thread we have yet to uncover.

Maybe that re-designed antenna might be causing a wide range of power usage thus more or less battery drain. Maybe the phone is constantly switching from the top to bottom antenna to keep a signal??? Kinda makes sense...

6. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

No, I do not think so, because I have HORRIBLE (0-1 bars) signal while I am at work for most of my day, and I am getting 5-6 hours usage, and 16-17 hours standby out of my iPhone 4s with all features turned on.

7. Macky Mac macrumors member

I think that may be the problem...On some phones there might be a problem with the antenna switching from top to bottom causing an unusal battery drain. If different environmental conditions "confuse" the antenna, it might be causing the battery drain.

Anyone know how the new antenna system works? Is there some kind of chip or processor that manages the antenna switching/usage?