iPhone 4S Apple Bumper vs. Case

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pilot1226, Dec 15, 2011.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Hi,

My sister is getting an iPhone 4S for Christmas this year. I was in the Apple Store today and noticed they're selling the little black bumpers on the side. What type of protection does this offer versus a case? Will bumpers only protect against a fall on the sides/corners?

She's 17, so I believe she needs at least some type of bumper or case at this point.

If you know of any links to real-world tests with bumpers (drops from 3 ft, 5 ft, etc.) I would appreciate them. Googling just gave me a bunch of case reviews.

Thanks!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This, dropped mine numerous times in bumper, phones has been fine.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I can't watch the video at work, but I imagine it is showing a phone with a bumper on being dropped and completely blowing up as a result.

The bumper is going to provide almost no protection. If you ask me it is more a "style" thing than actual protection.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You live by the 'ignorance is bliss' mantra, don't ya?

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I believe the bumper is just as good as a case. It's a combination of rubber and plastic and it can absorb and distribute shock if it falls. The bumper, when installed, has a little height (few mm) and lifts the iPhone from the ground. So, the bare back or front won't hit the ground. All the while it still shows most of the design of the phone.

7. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

bumper since 4s launch. phone is still in pristine condition with a couple drops

8. rosemary1 macrumors regular

I dropped my 4s + bumper the other night and no harm was done.